Help needed for modded game problem

Tertius

Hello,

My PC has recently been returned to me (replacement of the M.2 drive) and I'm in the process of reinstalling everything, including Dawn of War Soulstorm and the Unification Mod. When I first did this months ago everything worked just fine but this time I can't install the mod. When I click the mod application I'm told I need to 'install an app for this task' and it prompts me to look in the Microsoft Store which gives me no results (and I don't even know what I'm supposed to be looking for or why, since it never did this last time). The troubleshooting section of the Unification Discord was unable to fix the problem.

Windows 11 is not in s mode, run as administrator gives the same issue, turning on developer mode gives the same issue, reinstalling Soulstorm did not fix the issue, deleting and redownloading the mod components did not fix the issue and 'Choose where to get apps' is set to 'Anywhere'.
Any help would be appreciated!

Thank you
P.S: I am not good with computers, just so you know!

Attachments

• Unification Problem 3.jpg
    Unification Problem 3.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 70

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hello,

My PC has recently been returned to me (replacement of the M.2 drive) and I'm in the process of reinstalling everything, including Dawn of War Soulstorm and the Unification Mod. When I first did this months ago everything worked just fine but this time I can't install the mod. When I click the mod application I'm told I need to 'install an app for this task' and it prompts me to look in the Microsoft Store which gives me no results (and I don't even know what I'm supposed to be looking for or why, since it never did this last time). The troubleshooting section of the Unification Discord was unable to fix the problem.

Windows 11 is not in s mode, run as administrator gives the same issue, turning on developer mode gives the same issue, reinstalling Soulstorm did not fix the issue, deleting and redownloading the mod components did not fix the issue and 'Choose where to get apps' is set to 'Anywhere'.
Any help would be appreciated!

Thank you
P.S: I am not good with computers, just so you know!
What file are you trying to open / install that shows you that you need to install a program?

Any mod will have a "mod manager", it looks like perhaps that isn't installed so the mod has no way of installing.

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
What's the file extension of what you're trying to open?

If it's not an EXE or MSI extension, then you're probably missing the app to run it (hence the message). If it's ZIP or 7Z or RAR then you'll have to install WinZip, 7Zip or WinRAR to extract/open them.

Tertius

Thank you for your replies, but I have managed to get it to work. I was fiddling around with properties and found that if I ran the compatibility troubleshooter and tried the recommended settings it just started working (I'm sure I tried this yesterday with no result). So it ran in compatibility mode for Windows 8, which is the most recent option available in the list. Don't know why it works, but it works.

So thanks again for your ideas, typical that I should get it to start as soon as I ask for help!
P.S: In answer to your questions the file extension was .exe and the mod manager is included as part of the whole installation, so I could only access it after a successful install.

IaiBal

Silent until now as I had nothing helpful to say. But now you've sorted it (hooray!) just a post to sing DoW praises and that it's reminded me to install Unification as I've never played it. For a while now I've been enjoying the DoWII Elite mod but a change would be nice.

Tertius

Silent until now as I had nothing helpful to say. But now you've sorted it (hooray!) just a post to sing DoW praises and that it's reminded me to install Unification as I've never played it. For a while now I've been enjoying the DoWII Elite mod but a change would be nice.

I've been playing DoW for years but it's only now that I've got a new PC that I can play it with the settings turned up! (And be able to use mods). I can definitely recommend the Unification Mod, lots of factions from the table top included and extra units for existing ones plus new modes like survival. The current version is 6.9.1 and I used a Youtube video to show which files I needed and how (in theory) to install them, the Unification Discord has all the info too.
Hopefully the installation goes smoother for you than it did for me, I'm half expecting that the next time I go to use it it'll break again, lol.

IaiBal

I've been playing DoW for years but it's only now that I've got a new PC that I can play it with the settings turned up! (And be able to use mods). I can definitely recommend the Unification Mod, lots of factions from the table top included and extra units for existing ones plus new modes like survival. The current version is 6.9.1 and I used a Youtube video to show which files I needed and how (in theory) to install them, the Unification Discord has all the info too.
Hopefully the installation goes smoother for you than it did for me, I'm half expecting that the next time I go to use it it'll break again, lol.
Thanks, I'll probably give it a go this weekend and see how it goes... DoWII is worth a look if you haven't played it, really quite a different experience but great in a different way.