Help - PC Turns on but I am not getting a signal from graphics card to my monitor.

Andrew_P

Silver Level Poster
Hi All,

I hope someone is able to help me. I took delivery of my PC today and I have come to set it up however when I turn on the system beeps a couple of times but I don't get any output on my monitor which is also new. I was connecting the graphics card and monitor by HDMI, however I have tried a different cable as well and still no joy.

I wonder if the graphics card could be faulty possibly? I have to say I will not be impressed if the graphics card is confirmed as dead on arrival. The graphics card is an AMD Radeon RX480 8GB in case that information is of any use. Also the monitor I am using is an LG24MK600M and link to monitor is below:

Any help would be greatly appreciated and hope this issue can be resolved as I really don't want to have to send the PC back.

Kind regards

Andrew

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
2 things:

Are you definitely using the output on the graphics card and not the motherboard?

Have you selected the HDMI channel on the monitor?

If you're still having issue, may be worth unplugging the graphics card and reseating it, sometimes they can get dislodged in transit.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Further edit, may be worth taking out and slotting back in the RAM also, apparently 2 beeps can sometime mean a RAM issue.

Andrew_P

Silver Level Poster
2 things:

Are you definitely using the output on the graphics card and not the motherboard?

Have you selected the HDMI channel on the monitor?

If you're still having issue, may be worth unplugging the graphics card and reseating it, sometimes they can get dislodged in transit.

Further edit, may be worth taking out and slotting back in the RAM also, apparently 2 beeps can sometime mean a RAM issue.

Thank you for your reply SpyderTracks :)

I have HDMI selected on the monitor and I am using the graphics card HDMI output and not the motherboard :)

I have tried taking out the RAM and slotting them back in and also reseating the graphics card but no joy. When the system turns on I get one long beep followed by 2 short beeps.

Thanks

Andrew

Rakk

The Awesome
I have tried taking out the RAM and slotting them back in and also reseating the graphics card but no joy. When the system turns on I get one long beep followed by 2 short beeps.
If you could look up the user manual for your motherboard, or let us know what the motherboard is, then we can find out what those beeps mean - as the beeps should indicate what the error is.

Andrew_P

Silver Level Poster
If you could look up the user manual for your motherboard, or let us know what the motherboard is, then we can find out what those beeps mean - as the beeps should indicate what the error is.

Thanks Rakk, my motherboard is a Gigabyte X470 AORUS Ultra Gaming

Thanks

Andrew

Rakk

The Awesome
Looking at the Gigabyte forums here: https://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php?topic=22876.0
it looks like 1 long beep followed by 2 short ones means its a Graphic card error (couldn't find it in a user manual - cos y'know it woulda been useful in the user manual ... ).

You should really call PCS (they are open on Saturdays) because the graphics card may well need replacing (presuming I've got the right error code of course) - unfortunately some things do fail very quickly or get damaged in transit :(, but if you talk to them they can go through a few tests with you and verify what is the issue.

I know when this happened to me (about 3 years ago), I could check it by taking out the graphics card and letting it use the CPU's integrated graphics at which point my machine booted perfectly fine - which kinda proved that it was the graphics card. I had the new graphics card the next day (as I was happy to swap it myself)

Andrew_P

Silver Level Poster
Thanks Rakk

I just thought I would give it one last go taking the graphics card out and place back in again and to my delight its booted up! :)

I am just finishing setting up Windows but will keep and eye on it and see how it goes but hopefully everyone will be ok now.

The only downside is when I unscrewed one of the screws for the graphics card it fell into the case and I can't find it now. I have tried moving the case around but can't find it and can't hear it moving at all. Anyone got any tips how to find a screw in a case?! :) I need to put one of the backing plates back as had to borrow a spare screw from one of the blank slots.

Thanks for everyones assistance :) - I will post back with an update once the computer has been up and running for a while.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Perhaps a power cable was not quite firmly in

Anyone got any tips how to find a screw in a case?!
Bright torch in a well-lit / daylit room. And a screwdriver with a magnetic tip.

Are you sure it landed in the case and didn't bounce out? Or end up underneath?

Also probably best to not move the PC around too much. If the screw could rattle, so can everything else (!).

What PC case is it?

Andrew_P

Silver Level Poster
Perhaps a power cable was not quite firmly in

Bright torch in a well-lit / daylit room. And a screwdriver with a magnetic tip.

Are you sure it landed in the case and didn't bounce out? Or end up underneath?

Also probably best to not move the PC around too much. If the screw could rattle, so can everything else (!).

What PC case is it?

The case is a Fractal Design Focus G

Thanks Oussebon :)