Help removing the foam padding around my CPU / Heat Sink Fan

jonbam

Enthusiast
Hi

Just got my PC back today.

First time I got the PC there wasn't a lot of protective foam near my CPU Heat Sink & Fan.

Opened the case up and I can't see how I am going to get this padding away from the CPU fan without damaging it?

See the photo below:

cpu foam padding.jpg

pc large view.jpg

https://youtu.be/l7CmWStzESw

thanks

Jonathan

Last edited:

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Does it not just gently lift out? The foam is usually rigid from what I recall. I just gently took either side and lifted.

I can't quite tell from the post+ video if you're saying it's trapped on something/ has got stuck at the top of the case, or rather that you're concerned about it and haven't attempted its removal yet.

Last edited:

jonbam

Enthusiast
No it doesn't just lift away, there is more padding near the top of the case that you can't see. Also more padding on the right hand side also. I'll be contacting support tomorrow about this issue.

thanks

Jonathan

steaky360

That does kind of look like it should lift out from the pics, but obviously it doesn't or you wouldn't be here asking.

Does it move at all when you try to lift it out, it might just be a little tight - I'd suggest the foam will give before the components do (its basically meant to) to protect the stuff in the case.

If it looks like some has been trapped beneath something before it hardened fully then that is worse - might need to cut it out (which I wouldn't recommend doing without speaking to PCS first).

If it is catching somewhere, can you tell where?

jonbam

Enthusiast
I have attempted to lift the foam out from the bottom of the case, and I feel the amount of force required is too much? It's catching on the right hand side.

current attempt to remove foam00.jpg

Last edited:

steaky360

I have attempted to lift the foam out from the bottom of the case, and I feel the amount of force required is too much? It's catching on the right hand side.

Right hand side from the perspective of the bottom photo - so the front of the case?

You could try gently prising it with your fingers, just sliding them around the edges of the foam from a loose section (maybe starting at the sides of the foam at the 'top/bottom' of the case). That might be enough to lift it out - failing that (or if you've come to the conclusion you could damage something) you may need to hang fire till you can speak to PCS

Sorry if you've already tried all this!

jonbam

Enthusiast
I'll wait until I can speak to PCS which will be Tuesday next week now.

yeah the front of the case/the upper part of the case also contains a lot of foam. Before returning my PC for cpu upgrade, I had no problems removing the foam, this time the foam is closer to the CPU Fan/Heat Sink and much tighter fit. I'll have to arrange a youtube video of the removal after speaking with PCS first.

thanks

Jonathan

steaky360

That is really unfortunate! Best of luck!

Not sure if it helps but they are open later than they used to be?

0900-2000
0333 011 7000

You're probably already aware and it doesn't help - fingers crossed you can get it sorted on Tuesday!

jonbam

Enthusiast
Ok

I have spoken to PCS staff and I am returning the pc so that the foam padding can be removed.

pc foam trapped on drive bays.jpg

There is a lot of foam padding underneath the drive bays on the right hand side.

I' don't want to force the foam padding away from the drive bays as this would put pressure on the heatsink/fan

Jonathan

Last edited:

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
+Rep deserved and given for being wise and sensible enough to send it back and not trying to force it yourself. That takes a lot of self control. :)

steaky360

+Rep deserved and given for being wise and sensible enough to send it back and not trying to force it yourself. That takes a lot of self control. :)

Also for being reasonable enough that you're not suggesting that this is the worst possible thing in the world and PCS are a terrible company etc. etc. etc.

Fingers crossed you get it back quickly!

jonbam

Enthusiast
This is my second gaming computer from PCS.

It's just bad luck I suppose, that it came back to me with unremovable foam padding.

I have experience of removing the foam padding twice now, so it should just lift away without much effort.

thanks

Jonathan