Help Speccing a Laptop...

GJOB

Bronze Level Poster
This will be my first custom laptop and I'm not sure what the most appropriate spec is, would you guys be able to answer some question on the appropriate model and spec please?

Firstly, the not so technical bits, I use my laptop on my lap every day in mixed lighting conditions for mainly Internet, Office and CAD. I'm looking for something that is thin, light with a long battery life.

Am I correct in thinking that the OptimusII is the thinnest chassis available?

Will this model have a backlit keyboard?

Is the trackpad a "standard" pad or does it work in a similar way to Apple/New Samsung with the Gesture UI?

So now the (slightly) more technical questions:

1. What is the additional power consumption of i7 processors over i5 in "minutes"?
2. Are the Matte screens recommended given my mixed lighting conditions? Any drawbacks?
3. My last laptop (Samsung) had a 1TB (7200rpm) drive with 8GB SSD - what is the nearest available equivalent?
4. Is there a chassis available to hold both an SSD, HDD and Optical Drive? (Presumably I'd have to go to 17"?)
5. What are the speakers like? Anything to compare them to?
6. What other mods are imminent that you know of (such as back-lit keyboards etc)?

Sorry for the pretty lame questions, for me at this stage I'm looking for something comfortable, reliable, portable with a long battery life - not a high end gaming machine.

At the moment I've specced this below, is there anything glaringly obvious that I might have missed? Thanks in advance..

Chassis & Display
Optimus II: 15.6" Matte 95% Gamut LED Widescreen (1920x1080) (£79)

Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-2670QM (2.20GHz) 6MB

Memory (RAM)
8GB SAMSUNG 1333MHz SODIMM DDR3 MEMORY (2 x 4GB)

Graphics Card
nVIDIA® GeForce® GT 555M - 2GB DDR3 Video RAM - DirectX® 11

Memory - Hard Disk
750GB SEAGATE MOMENTUS XT HYBRID, SATA 6 Gb/s, 32MB CACHE (7200 rpm)

DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
8x SATA DVD±R/RW/Dual Layer (+ 24x CD-RW)

Memory Card Reader
Internal 9 in 1 Card Reader (MMC/RSMMC/SD: Mini, XC & HC/MS: Pro & Duo)

Thermal Paste
ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND (£9)

Sound Card
Intel 2 Channel High Definition Audio + MIC/Headphone Jack

Bluetooth & Wireless
GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® N130 802.11N (150Mbps) + BLUETOOTH

USB Options
2 x USB 3.0 PORTS + 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS AS STANDARD

Battery
Upgrade to 62.16WH 6 Cell Lithium-ION Battery (£39)

Power Lead & Adaptor
1 x UK Power Lead & 90W Adaptor (GT 540M) / 120W Adaptor (GT 555M)

Operating System
NO OPERATING SYSTEM REQUIRED

Office Software
NO OFFICE SOFTWARE

Anti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE

Keyboard Language
INTEGRATED UK KEYBOARD WITH NUMBER PAD

Notebook Mouse
INTEGRATED 2 BUTTON TOUCHPAD MOUSE

Webcam
INTEGRATED 1.3 MEGAPIXEL WEBCAM

Surge Protection
6 Socket Compact 2M UFO Surge Protector (£9)

Warranty
3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour) (£5)

Dead Pixel Guarantee
30 Day Dead Pixel Guarantee Inc. Labour & Carriage Costs (£12)

Insurance
1 Month Free Laptop Insurance inc. Accidental Damage & Theft

Delivery
STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)

Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 6 to 8 working days

AndyL

Answers below in red:

Firstly, the not so technical bits, I use my laptop on my lap every day in mixed lighting conditions for mainly Internet, Office and CAD. I'm looking for something that is thin, light with a long battery life.
You will want a matte screen so that glare is reduced. If you are doing heavy CAD work then you will want an i7 CPU.

Am I correct in thinking that the OptimusII is the thinnest chassis available?
Im not sure on this, but you can check the dimensions for each laptop in the technical specifications page for each laptop.

Will this model have a backlit keyboard?
No. PCS currently do not offer any laptops with backlit keyboards, HOWEVER, they are soon to be releasing the Vortex 3 chassis that does support backlit keyboards (this chassis will be priced higher than the current Optimus chassis you have speced).

So now the (slightly) more technical questions:

1. What is the additional power consumption of i7 processors over i5 in "minutes"?
This is nearly impossible to calculate. You would need to know exactly what tasks you are performing and exactly which model CPU's, and even then it would still be impossible for anyone here to know. However the Optimus chassis does have Optimus technology which will allow you to siwtch off the dedicated GPU to extend battery life.

2. Are the Matte screens recommended given my mixed lighting conditions? Any drawbacks?
Yes I would recommend a matte screen.

3. My last laptop (Samsung) had a 1TB (7200rpm) drive with 8GB SSD - what is the nearest available equivalent?
There are now SSD's available, however they are very expensive if you want a large one such as 250GB+. I would recommend you get a WD 1TB 7200rpm HDD or a Hybrid drive such as the one you have speced below.

4. Is there a chassis available to hold both an SSD, HDD and Optical Drive? (Presumably I'd have to go to 17"?)
The only chassis currently available that supports 2 HDD's is the 17" Vortex 2.

5. What are the speakers like? Anything to compare them to?
I will let some people who own the Optimus chassis answer this question.

6. What other mods are imminent that you know of (such as back-lit keyboards etc)?
There are new chaasis available in the next few months, such as the Vortex 3, the Skyfire 2 and another chassis that will support SLI GTX675M.

At the moment I've specced this below, is there anything glaringly obvious that I might have missed? Thanks in advance..
The only thing you might want to change on your spec below, is to upgrade to 16GB of RAM because it is currently very cheap and will completely future proof your laptop in terms of RAM.

Chassis & Display
Optimus II: 15.6" Matte 95% Gamut LED Widescreen (1920x1080) (£79)

Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-2670QM (2.20GHz) 6MB

Memory (RAM)
8GB SAMSUNG 1333MHz SODIMM DDR3 MEMORY (2 x 4GB)

Graphics Card
nVIDIA® GeForce® GT 555M - 2GB DDR3 Video RAM - DirectX® 11

Memory - Hard Disk
750GB SEAGATE MOMENTUS XT HYBRID, SATA 6 Gb/s, 32MB CACHE (7200 rpm)

DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
8x SATA DVD±R/RW/Dual Layer (+ 24x CD-RW)

Memory Card Reader
Internal 9 in 1 Card Reader (MMC/RSMMC/SD: Mini, XC & HC/MS: Pro & Duo)

Thermal Paste
ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND (£9)

Sound Card
Intel 2 Channel High Definition Audio + MIC/Headphone Jack

Bluetooth & Wireless
GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® N130 802.11N (150Mbps) + BLUETOOTH

USB Options
2 x USB 3.0 PORTS + 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS AS STANDARD

Battery
Upgrade to 62.16WH 6 Cell Lithium-ION Battery (£39)

Power Lead & Adaptor
1 x UK Power Lead & 90W Adaptor (GT 540M) / 120W Adaptor (GT 555M)

Operating System
NO OPERATING SYSTEM REQUIRED

Office Software
NO OFFICE SOFTWARE

Anti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE

Keyboard Language
INTEGRATED UK KEYBOARD WITH NUMBER PAD

Notebook Mouse
INTEGRATED 2 BUTTON TOUCHPAD MOUSE

Webcam
INTEGRATED 1.3 MEGAPIXEL WEBCAM

Surge Protection
6 Socket Compact 2M UFO Surge Protector (£9)

Warranty
3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour) (£5)

Dead Pixel Guarantee
30 Day Dead Pixel Guarantee Inc. Labour & Carriage Costs (£12)

Insurance
1 Month Free Laptop Insurance inc. Accidental Damage & Theft

Delivery
STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)

Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 6 to 8 working days

Last edited:

GJOB

Bronze Level Poster
AndyL - Thanks ever so much for your valuable input. and Beanruz is correct, 8GB is Max RAM for optimus.

beanruz

GJOB, you never specified what your maximum spend is?

also does CAD require a good GPU?

if not that the GT540M in the Enigma II may be enough - according to the detail specs is 2.5kg over Optimus 2.6kg and also slightly thinner, (34.9mm rather than 40.2mm)

GJOB

Bronze Level Poster
Following my question about GPU's it seems the GT 555m is the best all rounder for me. Am I right in thinking that the OptimusII is the only (smallish) chassis that supports this card?

What is the thinnest chassis this could ever be fitted to? (ie is the next gen Optimus going to be thinner??)

AndyL

Following my question about GPU's it seems the GT 555m is the best all rounder for me. Am I right in thinking that the OptimusII is the only (smallish) chassis that supports this card?

What is the thinnest chassis this could ever be fitted to? (ie is the next gen Optimus going to be thinner??)

Yes.