Help - Vortex II - AMD 6990m output over HDMI to 720p TV

IKEAboy_2006

Hi Guys,

I've been searching for a solution to this problem but can't find any info at all.

I have been trying to connect my Vortex II 15.6" laptop (AMD 6990m) to my 37" Panasonic TV (720p over HDMI).
But I'm not able to select the required 1280x720 resolution from the Win7 "Screen Resolution" selection dialog box in Display Settings. The result is that I can select just about every other resolution except 1280x720 which results in the image not being displayed on the TV at native res. This means the image is either too large and therefore compressed on the screen etc. My old Alienware M11x output to 720p over HDMI no problem. I believe the 6990m must be able to do this too... I just can't fathom out how to get it working.

Any help/ideas would be greatly appreciated.

IKEAboy_2006

It does have Game Mode, but that is really only a preset for colour/brightness/contrast etc. It doesn't change the resolution of the screen. I think any fix for this has to be done at the Vortex side of things. The 6990m must be capable of pumping out 1280x720 @ 60Hz. I just can't see where to change/select it.

IKEAboy_2006

It does have quite a few modes at 1280x720 in the show all modes view. But selecting it here doesn't seem to work. As in, it doesn't display at that resolution on the TV. I can tell because the graphics on the TV are compressed and not displaying at 720p native res.

Any other ideas?

EDIT: Oh, I also forgot to mention that I have screwed up my installation of Catalyst Control Centre (CCC). I upgraded the CCC to 12.3 a few weeks ago and it caused all sorts of issues in Skyrim (which I am playing every night right now). So, I followed the instructions for removing CCC and reverted back to 12.1 (using driverSweeper to remove all traces of CCC).

I have since re-installed 12.3, but the installation completed "with warnings". I now can't launch CCC by right-clicking the windows desktop... It's not there at all. Attempting to launch it from Start menu displays an error message stating "could not load file or assembly CLI.Implementation". I've Googled this and discovered that it's due to a file being missing from .NET installation (I think DriverSweeper has removed this). I now need to perform a clean install of .NET and then a clean install of CCC 12.3 to try and fix this.

I've put this off because the 6990m is eating Skyrim for breakfast now (constant 60.1 FPS inside and outside with fully maxed settings at 1920x1080). So, I am a bit reluctant to try the .NET fix right now. Maybe I'm not able to pump out 720p over HDMI to TV because of the CCC issue I have?

Last edited: