Help with a monitor paring ?

Sullytech

Hey I would really appreciate some help finding an appropriate monitor for this build? Its got a 3080, so I am looking for either 4k or something ultra-wide. There seems to be some debate online as to if the 3080 should be used for 4k at 120hz or ultrawide at 144hz.

Any suggestions or thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!

Case
CORSAIR iCUE 220T RGB AIRFLOW MID TOWER GAMING CASE
Processor (CPU)
AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT Eight Core CPU (4.7GHz/36MB CACHE/AM4)
Motherboard
ASUS® ROG STRIX X570-F GAMING (USB 3.2 Gen 2, PCIe 4.0) - ARGB Ready!
Memory (RAM)
16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3600MHz (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
10GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3080
1st Storage Drive
2TB SEAGATE IRONWOLF PRO 3.5", 7200 RPM 128MB CACHE
1st M.2 SSD Drive
500GB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3500MB/R, 3200MB/W)
Power Supply
CORSAIR 850W RMx SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling
PCS FrostFlow 240 Series RGB High Performance Liquid Cooler (AMD)
Thermal Paste
STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless/Wired Networking
WIRELESS INTEL® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 2,400Mbps/5GHz, 300Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD + BT 5.0
USB/Thunderbolt Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence [KUK-00001]

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hey thanks for the suggestion! 49 inches is probably going to be big for the space I intend to use the computer in. (My entire desk is 50 inches :p) I am aware that ultra-wides tend to be large but I think 49 inches is on the higher end even for them.

I was thinking of the ROG STRIX XG27UQ 27"
The Samsung isn't an ultrawide, it's a superwide which is 5120 x 1440 vs ultrawide of 3440 x 1440, it's a huge difference hence the size increase.

That Asus is a standard 4k 144Hz which would suit the card fine.

Sullytech

The Samsung isn't an ultrawide, it's a superwide which is 5120 x 1440 vs ultrawide of 3440 x 1440, it's a huge difference hence the size increase.

That Asus is a standard 4k 144Hz which would suit the card fine.

A ha! Thanks for the clarification on the classifications.

Do either of you folks have an opinion on whether 3080 will be able to run 4k 144hz a year or two into the future? I suspect a year or two down the line as games progress, the card might struggle to maintain higher FPS at 4k. Meaning that a 1440p display might be more future proof? As in may suit my card better over time.

Any thoughts ?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
A ha! Thanks for the clarification on the classifications.

Do either of you folks have an opinion on whether 3080 will be able to run 4k 144hz a year or two into the future? I suspect a year or two down the line as games progress, the card might struggle to maintain higher FPS at 4k. Meaning that a 1440p display might be more future proof? As in may suit my card better over time.

Any thoughts ?
The card is designed to run with dlss, when you factor that in, you’ll be averaging around 120fps in the most demanding titles at the moment. And those titles are wildcard titles that are basically designed as benchmark titles to see what can be achieved.

No one can tell you what future development will be, but usually newer titles will engage newer technologies that require more power.

But by the time you get to that point, you don’t reduce your settings, you upgrade the card to one that can support the new technologies, that’s the whole point of a gaming pc is that if it’s designed properly you can upgrade it as you like.

Sullytech

The card is designed to run with dlss, when you factor that in, you’ll be averaging around 120fps in the most demanding titles at the moment. And those titles are wildcard titles that are basically designed as benchmark titles to see what can be achieved.

No one can tell you what future development will be, but usually newer titles will engage newer technologies that require more power.

But by the time you get to that point, you don’t reduce your settings, you upgrade the card to one that can support the new technologies, that’s the whole point of a gaming pc is that if it’s designed properly you can upgrade it as you like.
Yea I hadn't even really been thinking about DLSS that a good point. In that case I will probably go for a 4k 144hz monitor! Do you have any displays in mind with those specs that you might choose over the one I mentioned previously? ROG STRIX XG27UQ 27"

What your saying makes me happy I decided for for 850W over the 750W that was standard to the build :p

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Yea I hadn't even really been thinking about DLSS that a good point. In that case I will probably go for a 4k 144hz monitor! Do you have any displays in mind with those specs that you might choose over the one I mentioned previously? ROG STRIX XG27UQ 27"

What your saying makes me happy I decided for for 850W over the 750W that was standard to the build :p
Yeah, for the new builds, we'd always recommend 850 just to give you some headroom. I doubt they'll keep the power requirements of cards this high with next gen cards, they'll have worked out a way to reduce the power consumption I'm almost certain, I think this release is an unusual one in that regard but anyway, it's best to be prepared.

That monitor is one of 2 of the cheapest available, so it's an extreme budget option at this level. It's also the size, anything under 32" at the absolute minimum is really too little for 4k (and I say that being someone who has a 28" 4k panel).

Something more substantial with better HDR support and generally better panels would be this in the Asus range with HDR10 support:

Sullytech

Yeah, for the new builds, we'd always recommend 850 just to give you some headroom. I doubt they'll keep the power requirements of cards this high with next gen cards, they'll have worked out a way to reduce the power consumption I'm almost certain, I think this release is an unusual one in that regard but anyway, it's best to be prepared.

That monitor is one of 2 of the cheapest available, so it's an extreme budget option at this level. It's also the size, anything under 32" at the absolute minimum is really too little for 4k (and I say that being someone who has a 28" 4k panel).

Something more substantial with better HDR support and generally better panels would be this in the Asus range with HDR10 support:

Yea my budget was screeched as it is but after reading your post you wrote about the caliber of display I would need I was kind of expecting this :p

I think I will go with the one you suggested and see if I can find a better price or even just some where that wont be international shipping (I am Irish).

Thanks both of you for all your help! I can see you both do most of the well informed posting here and it is an invaluable service for the PC enthusiast community that you provide! Thanks !

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Yea my budget was screeched as it is but after reading your post you wrote about the caliber of display I would need I was kind of expecting this :p

I think I will go with the one you suggested and see if I can find a better price or even just some where that wont be international shipping (I am Irish).

Thanks both of you for all your help! I can see you both do most of the well informed posting here and it is an invaluable service for the PC enthusiast community that you provide! Thanks !
Pleasure, and thanks for the kind words, it’s nice to be appreciated :)

Sullytech

Just for information: The Odyssey G9 is actually "only" 45 inches wide so it would fit easily onto your desk :) :) :)
A ha, I think the amazon link had 49 inches some where. Perhaps that doesn't account for the curve or something.

I think I am going stick with the ROG Strix XG438Q tho as I found it there for 1005 pounds on amazon. While I have you here, have you had experience buying displays from amazon ? Do they arrive intact and on time? I have had bad experiences with amazon in the past :p

Oh and Thanks Nurse too! It was one of your older posts encouraged me to to go with the higher 850W supply I mentioned before.

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
I think I am going stick with the ROG Strix XG438Q tho as I found it there for 1005 pounds on amazon. While I have you here, have you had experience buying displays from amazon ? Do they arrive intact and on time? I have had bad experiences with amazon in the past :p

Oh and Thanks Nurse too! It was one of your older posts encouraged me to to go with the higher 850W supply I mentioned before.
I went looking for Irish options for the XG438Q, but they were all crazy expensive. That Amazon option seems to be about the cheapest you'll find it.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
A ha, I think the amazon link had 49 inches some where. Perhaps that doesn't account for the curve or something.

Occasionally you get a duff panel with a dead pixel or something (that’s more an issue with QC from the manufacturer than Amazon), but their returns policy is so damn good that they’ll swap it out no questions asked, they’re superb.

I would definitely buy direct from amazon though and not a marketplace seller as they have their own terms.

Sullytech

You're safe from me. I bought the XG27UQ you were recommended earlier. Haven't ordered my rig yet though, so the monitor is currently sat by my desk awaiting it's sole purpose in life...
I have a funny feeling mine will sit unused for a while too. I have ordered my PC but it has a 3080 and they seem to be in short supply. I got an email giving an estimated delivery date of Oct 5th, which seems very unlikely :p

Sullytech

While I have a some of you guys here, do you think my cooling will be ok?
I built a PC years ago and had major cooling issue (because I didn't know what I was doing).

Case
Processor (CPU)
Motherboard
Memory (RAM)
Graphics Card
1st Storage Drive
1st M.2 SSD Drive
Power Supply
Power Cable
Processor Cooling
Thermal Paste
Sound Card
WIRELESS INTEL® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 2,400Mbps/5GHz, 300Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD + BT 5.0
USB/Thunderbolt Options

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I built a PC years ago and had major cooling issue (because I didn't know what I was doing).

Case
Processor (CPU)
Motherboard
Memory (RAM)
Graphics Card
1st Storage Drive
1st M.2 SSD Drive
Power Supply
Power Cable
Processor Cooling
Thermal Paste
Sound Card
USB/Thunderbolt Options
On that CPU, I'd go for the 240mm Coolermaster as a minimum.

Personally, I wouldn't choose that case either, it's very budget for the components within it.

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken

Case
Processor (CPU)
Motherboard
Memory (RAM)
Graphics Card
1st Storage Drive
1st M.2 SSD Drive
Power Supply
Power Cable
Processor Cooling
Thermal Paste
Sound Card
USB/Thunderbolt Options

I have that case as I needed a small one that was half decent. Airflow isn't bad but it's on the budget side of the case world and you get what you pay for. I got the H100i RGB Platinum to be on the safe side and temps are absolutely fine in there. So maybe pick another case or up the cooler to premium one would be my advice.

Sullytech

On that CPU, I'd go for the 240mm Coolermaster as a minimum.

Personally, I wouldn't choose that case either, it's very budget for the components within it.

Oh no, I was afraid I was gonna get that answer :p

If I am being honest my budget is extremely stretched as it is so the cheapest solution to this problem would be best for me. Right now that will probably be just improving the ventilation in the room :p

If you guys think I really need an upgrade, which would you go for ? Case or cooler ?

And I think I could email to add the parts to an in-production PC is that correct ?