Help with homeplugs

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
hi i finally got my second homeplug and im having trouble getting the best speeds, im getting lower than my wireless, does anyone know why? ive got one into a direct power outlet and one on a multiplier thingy, ive installed the drivers supplied with it and i still cant get top speeds, its working, just not at its best, any help would be greatly appreciated, ping is also higher than on wireless, i would ideally like it on my surge protector, but that doesnt seem to work at all

Corfate

Author Level
You had to install drivers? I just simply plugged mine in and they worked. Can you try them both from wall sockets? See if theres any change in speed?

tom_gr7

Life Serving
try it without using an extension lead.

both plugs directly into the wall. even if its not how you want it, just try it, you may or may not see a difference

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
cant get the other one to a main socket, its where the router is and putting it in would mean no router

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
those are pretty expensive though :( cant afford that im afraid, already got 2 the same and i realised it didnt work through the surge protector, big bummer

tom_gr7

Life Serving
they are ace homeplugs vanthus!

wozza, where ya router is plug everything into a extension lead, then leave a socket spare for the homeplug.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
not getting bad speeds at around 8 now, but i know i can get better, and the wire in my room is kind of inconvenient as its stretched mid air

Corfate

Author Level
Adding to what Tom said, get a larger extension cable? :p Most plug sockets are 2 plugs right? All on one extension cable, homeplug in the other suggested by tom :)

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
those are pretty expensive though :( cant afford that im afraid, already got 2 the same and i realised it didnt work through the surge protector, big bummer
If you only have a single wall socket outlet,there is a cheaper solution,
you could use a socket converter,(you may need longer 3.5mm screws)
http://www.screwfix.com/c/electrical-lighting/socket-converters/cat830536
you would need someone who knows what they are doing to install one of these,
not necessarily an electrician.

Last edited:

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
If you only have a single wall socket outlet,there is a cheaper solution,
You could use a plug adaptor although personally i dont like them,
I find them a potential fire risk.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pro-Elec-3-...4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1326738828&sr=1-4
Best use a socket converter,(you may need longer 3.5mm screws)
http://www.screwfix.com/c/electrical-lighting/socket-converters/cat830536
you would need someone who knows what they are doing to install one of these,
not necessarily an electrician.

the problem is i cant really get to that socket, it will take forever to move the book case enough to get to it, ive got it on the first socket on both 4 way adaptors (i changed one back as it made no difference) im experiencing very good ping now, around 17ms according to speed test but no more than 800kb/s throug steam

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
the problem is i cant really get to that socket, it will take forever to move the book case enough to get to it, ive got it on the first socket on both 4 way adaptors (i changed one back as it made no difference) im experiencing very good ping now, around 17ms according to speed test but no more than 800kb/s throug steam
Ah,i see,I think,are you saying it's a double socket?

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
no its a single socket, i just can't access it at all, its behind a bookcase that weighs about 300 tonnes, we have an adaptor thingy to turn a single socket into four, i dont know what its called :/ basically a surge protector but no surge protection

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
no its a single socket, i just can't access it at all, its behind a bookcase that weighs about 300 tonnes, we have an adaptor thingy to turn a single socket into four, i dont know what its called :/ basically a surge protector but no surge protection
Well,an electrician could sort that out for you,
If I lived nearer I would sort it for you free gratis,
unfortunately I'm quite a bit away.:)

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
haha, my dad would never understand :/ i dont think he'd like the idea of you coming round to fix something that aint broke haha

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
probably, but quite far away and most likely being used, the only other one i know of in that room is an adapter to make it 4 plugs, so it would make no difference, and its the other side of the room, and the main socket is also behind a giant cabinet thing that definitely won't be moving at all

DanteWilhelm

Bright Spark
not getting bad speeds at around 8 now, but i know i can get better, and the wire in my room is kind of inconvenient as its stretched mid air

Do what I did,

phone and router are plugged into different sockets right?

So get an extension cube, which are probably dirt cheap. Then use the extra free socket for your homeplug.