Help with laptop

AdamAndo

Im looking at the 17.3" OPTIMUS VIII. My questions are what would you change? and why is the only option a 120W AC Adapter for the GTX 1050? i was reading online that it is recommended to and at least 230W charger? will this laptop be ok with the 120W?

i know i can get a pc but as im always on the move between house ect i need a laptop

current spec:
Chassis & DisplayOptimus Series: 17.3" Matte Full HD IPS LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU)Intel® Core™ i7 Quad Core Processor 7700HQ (2.8GHz, 3.8GHz Turbo)
Memory (RAM)16GB HyperX IMPACT 2400MHz SODIMM DDR4 (1 x 16GB)
Graphics Card NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1050 - 4.0GB GDDR5 Video RAM - DirectX® 12.1
1st Hard Disk 2TB SLIM SERIAL ATA III 2.5" HARD DRIVE WITH 128MB CACHE (5,400rpm)
M.2 SSD Drive 256GB SAMSUNG SM961 M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3100MB/R, 1400MB/W)
Memory Card Reader Integrated 6 in 1 Card Reader (SD /Mini SD/ SDHC / SDXC / MMC / RSMMC)
AC Adaptor 1 x 120W AC AdaptorPower Cable 1 x 1 Metre Cloverleaf UK Power Cable
Thermal Paste ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
Sound Card Intel 2 Channel High Def. Audio + SoundBlaster™ Cinema 3
Bluetooth & Wireless GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® AC-8265 M.2 (867Mbps, 802.11AC) +BT 4.0, vPRO
USB Options 1 x USB 3.0 PORT (Type C) + 2 x USB 3.0 PORTS + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT
Battery Cosmos VI Series 6 Cell Lithium Ion Battery
Keyboard Language SINGLE COLOUR BACKLIT UK KEYBOARD
Operating System Genuine Windows 10 Professional 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
120W is fine.

If you think that the GPU has a 45W TDP, and the desktop GTX 1050 uses max 75W (since it's powered purely by the PCI-E slot, unless it's an OCed after market model) then 120W sounds around the right ballpark. The notebook ones presumably use less power than their desktop counterparts too. 230W is therefore way off - what would use that much power? 230W is what you'd expect from a laptop with something like a GTX 1070 in it.

What is this laptop for? For most uses I'd strongly recommend the GTX 1050 ti over the GTX 1050, since you can't upgrade the GPU. It's quite a bit more powerful:
gtx 1050 mobile.png

AdamAndo

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking the 15.6" rather than the 17.3" now

Ive youtube'd the comparison between them both which i can live with but they also talked that it will have less cooling due to the case size? Is this true ir a load of rubbish?

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
It's possible, larger chassis sometimes have an extra fan or whatever.

However, the GTX 1050 ti is not a very powerful card and is efficient such that temperatures aren't really an issue. If you look at reviews of the desktop card, people say things such as:

It's a small, discrete card built to a cost, but the basic reality is that the GP107 processor is so efficient, it simply doesn't require a top-end thermal solution. The basic heat sink and fan we have here is perfectly adequate and temperatures are preposterously low. Even with a maxed-out overclock in place, temperatures maxed for us at 50 degrees Celsius.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1050-ti-review

Or:
gtx-1050-gpu-temp-100689217-orig.jpg
http://www.pcworld.com/article/3134...w-the-new-budget-gaming-champions.html?page=9

Nvidia cards can happily run at something like 80 degrees. The high end desktop cards generally do.

So I wouldn't worry too much about a laptop's ability to cool them. It's not like there's a GTX 1080 in there.

If you are using the laptop for gaming, I would strongly recommend the GTX 1050 ti over the GTX 1050. You can afford it by reducing the RAM to 8gb (you can add more in the future but for a mobile gaming setup 8gb should be perfectly fine) or reducing the CPU to an i5 7300HQ as most games will care a lot more about having a 35% more powerful GPU.

AdamAndo

Thanks for that information, i will go with all the above but change to the 15.6" and change gpu to the Ti version.

Appreciated for the help