help with pcie wireless please

rudolph93

Silver Level Poster
Right so got my lovely new shiney computer, and everything was going okayish, but now its starting to pee me off, its connected to my router and i have internet access then all of a sudden, bam still connected to the router but has no internet access. keeps doing it all the time and is realllllllllly annoying me, dont suppose any one knows what the problem is or could be?

using the bullguard security that came with it at the moment, but can download norton if thats the problem, just thought ill give bullguard a trail run to see how well it performs.

thank you very much to everyone in advanced

Last edited:

tom_gr7

Life Serving
obvious but have you connected the antennas properly?

Also check that the drivers are installed correctly.

how far from the router is your pc? an thick walls in the way? Cordless telephones or microwaves near your router?

Is there alot of other routers in your area?

If you get into the router settings you should be able to change the channel to see if that helps.

edit - my router does it all the time, but i use homeplugs so have a wired connection too

rudolph93

Silver Level Poster
well not the problem my pc being far away from my router because it always stays conncected to my router just randonly decides to come up with thats its not connected to the internet, and i know the internet is working because i have my laptop with me in the same room :S

but could be the drivers a guess ill check them out in a second.

slowly downloading drivers for my gaming mouse at the moment so i dont have to use this small wired one which i used to use for my laptop xD

and changed my channel from 1 to 10 incase that helps there seems to be 5-6 other routers but not sure what channels they use :s

and erm how can i check my network drivers :S?

Last edited:

rudolph93

Silver Level Poster
drivers were already updated, forgot that windows can check for it :p

but yeah still lose internet access (not connection to router) dunno what else to try :s

guess bullguard has lost my faith as that the only reason i see why its not working, if that does't work, dont suppose i can get a refund on the wireless card can i, without sending the whole pc back?

Last edited:

tom_gr7

Life Serving
I don't think its the bullguard that's causes it.

Mine does the same every now and then, I think its just wireless, good marketing makes out they are ace, but infact wireless is pants.

look into homeplugs

rudolph93

Silver Level Poster
well was my first time using bullguard so, in the end only thing i can blame, but if that did't work ill try one last thing before am on the phone to pcs tomorrow asking if they know any ways to fix otherwise ill send it back and get a refund on it...

homeplugs? will they work downstairs to upstairs, never tried them before and my plug socket (you will see on the pics when i post a review) is like on the other side of my room, so it will be plugged into a extension cord not the wall itself, dont know if that effects it though.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
They work providing all the plug sockets you use are on the same electrical circuit.

Its also best to plug the homeplug straight into the socket, so I wouldn't recommend using a extension lead.

edit - I've just noticed my wireless cards not even working, lol just disappeared. may as well remove it.

Last edited:

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Homeplugs are basically a wired ethernet connection through your domestic wiring,
they dont need to be on the same circuit,contrary to popular belief.
plug one homeplug in to a socket next to your router then connect an ethernet cable from the homeplug to your router,
plug the other one in to a socket next to your PC & connect an ethernet cable from it to your PC.
They can also work using an extension, again contrary to popular belief.
another way round this though if need be is to get homeplugs with a socket outlet so you don't lose the use of the socket,like these ones.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/D-Link-DHP-...X8/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1315341460&sr=8-12

MadMan

Super Star
I gave up on wireless as Im in the attic so a cheap option for me was getting a 30 metre Ethernet cable and some adhesive cable clips :D. Now I constantly have a fast, reliable connection.

rudolph93

Silver Level Poster
well at the mintute i have not disconnected once since getting rid of bullguard and putting norton back on it, upto now the longest i stayed connected and hopefully it will stay that way :) otherwise ill try them homeplugs out, look rather intresting to see how good they are.

p.s. ill give out some rep ;)

tom_gr7

Life Serving
just out of interest how many bars connection do you have for ya wireless?

homeplugs are a winner, I went for a set as my wireless would just drop out whilst online gaming. Infact I have the plugs that vanthus recommended on page one. Very good as I didn't lose a plug socket.

i dont think there is anything wrong with the wireless cards just think its wireless its self, could even be the router.

My dad has one of them new bt ones, off the advert, its supposed to have "smart wireless tech" lol all it does is change the channel itself. They are crap, lol he has thick walls that just destroy the signal.

ps thanks for the rep. :)

just found this, may be interesting for ya

Last edited:

rudolph93

Silver Level Poster
erm 4bars on average, 5 when everyone is in bed ;) might get some homeplugs but need to buy battlefield 3 and skyrim first, only game i got which i actually own is starcraft 2 at the moment, should keep me entertained to swtor comes out :) but if the latency is terriable in battlfield 3 and swtor probaly get homeplugs.

and your more than welcome for the rep, helping others pays (well kinda)