Help!

RobMeade

Bronze Level Poster
Second memory check is throwing errors, so I guess I now know which memory stick is faulty.

Keyboard still not working though. Not sure if that's because I've not fully inserted it again, or whether I've screwed it.

Two large ribbon cables on it, the one nearest the LCD seems to go in a reasonable distance, where as the one nearer the front (space bar) doesn't seem to go in that far.

The cable has a white line on it which is inline with the little plastic slider that clips it in, so assume it's right.

Will try clipping it back in fully next and see if that makes any difference. Ironically can't cancel the memory test as I can't press escape! 😀

RobMeade

Bronze Level Poster
Thought I was almost there, got the WiFi working again.

Popped the good ram back in, clipped the keyboard back in, battery back in, power cable, booted up, it kind "revs".. the power light cokes on briefly, the fans rev, then it goes off again for a couple of seconds, repeat. Have tried it with the keyboard popped back out, same thing.

the only things not back in are the two keyboard screws which I was going to pop back in when it was all working.

RobMeade

Bronze Level Poster
The revving issue seems to have gone away, resested the memory a couple of times and now seems fine

Keyboard still not responding though, whether full clipped in or not.

The thin cable going into it is for the back-light, they are working, just no response to key presses.

Still not entirely sure about that larger ribbon cable near the front, doesn't feel like it's connecting like the one near the rear does. That one feels more locked in, the one near the front seems to come out very easily.

Might have to take the upper frame off again to better see. Sigh. Late night. 😞

RobMeade

Bronze Level Poster
**BOOM**

Not as in it exploded! But as in I am posting this reply using the keyboard on the laptop!! **BOOM**
It turns out I was trying to put that ribbon cable over the top of the little black slider that locks it into place, turns out, it goes underneath! So it was never making a connection, hence no typey typey!

All I need to do now is order some replacement ram.

Looking at the model number on the one I have I note that its been replaced with a different model number. My loose understanding of ram is that you normally pair them up as the same. Do you think that as long as the size and speed is the same, I should be ok? I'd rather not order a pair if I dont need to.

Original ones are:
Corsair Vengeance SO-DIMM 16GB DDR4 (CM4X16GE2666C18S4)

A quick sweep online shows this one:
Corsair Vengeance SO-DIMM 16GB DDR4 (‎CMSX16GX4M1A2666C18)

Same clock speed, volts, etc etc, just the model number that appears to have changed (mine was obviously 3 years old), do you think this would be ok, or do you think I should buy a pair of identical model numbers?

(chuckling to myself about the "SO-DIMM" above, thinking how apt for me!! :D )

RobMeade

Bronze Level Poster
Thanks for this. I had seen this tool mentioned searching online, but I wasn't sure if it would only work with their own memory etc. I'll give this a go later today, appreciated :)