High CPU temps (i7 2600k 4.5ghz)

M3aaaq

Enthusiast
Hello everybody,

I have this computer for 3 yrs now and for the past few months I have started noticing that the temps on my cpu reach very high levels, under full load it goes to 95c - 98c

When I got this computer first time it didn't used to go like this, I had to lower overclock to 4.4ghz and lower the voltage to keep temps at 70c

could this be thermal paste gone bad or what? I clean the pc with pressure air on a monthly basis.

(i7 2600k, 4.4ghz fenrar titan evo cpu cooler)

steaky360

It's possible, if you're confident to give it a shot try and replace the paste, should be an easy enough job to remove the cooler clean the old paste off and apply some new goo. Loads of tutorials on youtube to help :)

Boozad

Prolific Poster
I was just wondering whether it would be suitable for a long term OC? Espceially a high one above 4.4GHz.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
it would be useful if you could post up your full spec bud, then we can see what we are looking at :)

M3aaaq

Enthusiast
it would be useful if you could post up your full spec bud, then we can see what we are looking at :)

Overclocked CPU Overclocked Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core (3.40GHz @ max 4.80GHz)
OC Settings Show/Hide
Motherboard ASUS® MAXIMUS IV EXTREME-Z: INTEL Z68 ROG MOTHERBOARD
Memory (RAM) 16GB KINGSTON HYPER-X GENESIS DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz, X.M.P (4 x 4GB KIT)
Graphics Card 1.5GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 580 - 2 DVI, HDMI, DP - 3D Vision Ready
2nd Graphics Card 1.5GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 580 - 2 DVI, HDMI, DP - 3D Vision Ready

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
That cooler might not have much extra cooling capacity, if the thermal paste has just dried up a little then it might be struggling to keep everything cool. Have you checked the fans are spinning properly?

tom_gr7

Life Serving
Prima facie, having two 580's in your rig, its going to be boiling! They run extremely hot.

What case do you have? you're going to need near fantastic cooling with an overclocked 2600k and two 580's! All the heat coming from those 580's needs to be exhausted out of the case, otherwise the internal temperature will just get hotter and hotter. I had two 580's and no matter how good my case cooling was, it wasnt enough to keep both cards below 75c.

Also, what cpu cooler do you have?

PaulH

Bright Spark
The Titan EVO at the time was a fantastic air cooler, one of the best, I would check the fans to make sure they are spinning and if not give it a new coat of thermal paste - if it has been fine up until now temp wise the hardware is enough to keep cool, I would give everything a good clean and blow out with compressed air, including the graphics cards and all fans in the system to get you back up to tip top condition.

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
Also check the chassis fans are spinning correctly, if one has failed it could be reducing airflow.

M3aaaq

Enthusiast
Prima facie, having two 580's in your rig, its going to be boiling! They run extremely hot.

What case do you have? you're going to need near fantastic cooling with an overclocked 2600k and two 580's! All the heat coming from those 580's needs to be exhausted out of the case, otherwise the internal temperature will just get hotter and hotter. I had two 580's and no matter how good my case cooling was, it wasnt enough to keep both cards below 75c.

Also, what cpu cooler do you have?

As I said in top post, fenrar titan evo, and this heat issue has not been here forever.

Only recently.. I have HAF x cooler master case

Also check the chassis fans are spinning correctly, if one has failed it could be reducing airflow.

Yes fans are spinning fine, I checked multiple times.

The Titan EVO at the time was a fantastic air cooler, one of the best, I would check the fans to make sure they are spinning and if not give it a new coat of thermal paste - if it has been fine up until now temp wise the hardware is enough to keep cool, I would give everything a good clean and blow out with compressed air, including the graphics cards and all fans in the system to get you back up to tip top condition.

Yes it is great cooler, which is why I think thermal paste is the issue, this hasn't been happening before. Fan speed is normal. I clean the pc every month with compressed air.

Last edited:

tom_gr7

Life Serving
As I said in top post, fenrar titan evo, and this heat issue has not been here forever.

Only recently.. I have HAF x cooler master case

if you are after some decent paste, I'd suggest getting some Noctua thermal paste NT H1, It's really good, and you can use it on GPU's too. - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Noctua-NT-H...00267931&sr=8-1&keywords=noctua+thermal+paste

I'd also get some thermal paste cleaner, such as this (smells lovely btw) - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Arctic-Silv...0267947&sr=8-2&keywords=thermal+paste+cleaner

Whilst, I understand the heat hasn't always been an issue. 580's do throw out alot of heat, which will be going through your cpu cooler.

I'd probably repaste the gpu's too. This would void your warranty though, however, as they are 580's they are probably "older" Im guessing you have n PCS or manufacturer warranty left anyway. - fyi, palit manufacturer warranty is 2 years.

M3aaaq

Enthusiast
if you are after some decent paste, I'd suggest getting some Noctua thermal paste NT H1, It's really good, and you can use it on GPU's too. - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Noctua-NT-H...00267931&sr=8-1&keywords=noctua+thermal+paste

I'd also get some thermal paste cleaner, such as this (smells lovely btw) - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Arctic-Silv...0267947&sr=8-2&keywords=thermal+paste+cleaner

Whilst, I understand the heat hasn't always been an issue. 580's do throw out alot of heat, which will be going through your cpu cooler.

I'd probably repaste the gpu's too. This would void your warranty though, however, as they are 580's they are probably "older" Im guessing you have n PCS or manufacturer warranty left anyway. - fyi, palit manufacturer warranty is 2 years.

thanks for help, I will look in my town for some similar thermal paste, if I don't find I will order from amazon.

Boozad

Prolific Poster
Personally if my temps were that high on my CPU I'd be looking at an h80i. See what the repaste does, if it doesn't make a difference look at some hydro cooling.