High Pitch Whine

matt129

Took delivery of a new desktop on friday (7th). Everything looks great really happy with looks and performance.

Been setting everything up and installing software over the weekend no problems. However when loaded up Rome II from for the first time the computer starts to make a high pitched whine, quite loud and very annoying.

Whine stops immediately on exiting the the game, no other application or game (Diablo II, Civilization 5) has caused this. It appears to be a different noise to general fan sound, which remains constant.

Here's my spec, any help or comments greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Case
CORSAIR CARBIDE SERIES™ 200R COMPACT GAMING CASE
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i5 Quad Core Processor i5-4570 (3.2GHz) 6MB Cache
Motherboard
ASUS® H87M-E: Micro-ATX, LG1150, USB 3.0, SATA 6GBs
Memory (RAM)
8GB KINGSTON HYPER-X GENESIS DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz, X.M.P (2 x 4GB KIT)
Graphics Card
3GB AMD RADEON™ R9 280X - DVI, HDMI, DP - DX® 11, Eyefinity 4 Capable
Memory - 1st Hard Disk
120GB INTEL® 530 SERIES SSD, SATA 6 Gb/s (upto 550MB/sR | 520MB/sW)
2nd Hard Disk
500GB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD5003AZEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm)
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
Power Supply
CORSAIR 550W VS SERIES™ VS-550 POWER SUPPLY
Processor Cooling
Super Quiet 22dBA Triple Copper Heatpipe Intel CPU Cooler (£19)
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless/Wired Networking
10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT - AS STANDARD ON ALL PCs
USB Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 4 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Power Cable
1 x 2 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Operating System
NO OPERATING SYSTEM REQUIRED
Office Software
NO OFFICE SOFTWARE
Anti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Warranty
3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour) (£5)
Delivery
STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 8 to 10 working days
Quantity

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Could be "Coil whine" or "cap whine" these are terms used to describe high pitched whistling/hissing sounds that can emanate from components such as capacitors or inductors on the motherboard or GPU for example.
This can disappear after a short time,but if it persists and is really annoying,probably best to give PCS a call.

matt129

Thanks for quick reply.

I've been googling and "coil whine" had come up. In my case the noise is at its worst during the home and loading screens.

I'm happy to wait and see if it disappears, brand new machine and all. Is there any chance inaction may damage the system though?

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Thanks for quick reply.

I've been googling and "coil whine" had come up. In my case the noise is at its worst during the home and loading screens.

I'm happy to wait and see if it disappears, brand new machine and all. Is there any chance inaction may damage the system though?
As far as I know it won't cause any damage,but you could give PCS a call to see what they advise.

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
Coil whine is not damaging to any of the components so no problems running it for a while. Just be mindful to alert PCS to the problem within your warranty period so you can get it exchanged should you need to.