High Pitched noise from new graphics card/Power Issues?

alepow

I just installed a new graphics card (AMD 270 R9) in my PC to replace my old one and I'm getting a very irritating high pitched whine from it. Probably the fans if I'd have to guess. Does this seem right?
The card's fans are enclosed in the case so I'm not really comfortable with the thought of opening the card itself up to get at the fans.

Also, I got a 650W power supply when I bought the computer four years ago and I'm a little worried the new card's requirements might push it over the limit.

Here's my specs:
Case COOLERMASTER ELITE 310 BLUE CASE
Processor (CPU) AMD PHENOM II X4 970 (3.50GHz/8MB CACHE/AM3) - BLACK EDITION
Motherboard ASUS® M4A89TD PRO/USB3 : DDR3, USB 3.0, SATA 6.0Gb/s,
Memory (RAM) 4GB KINGSTON HYPER-X GENESIS DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz (2 x 2GB
Former Graphics Card 1GB ATI RADEONTM HD 6850 PCI EXPRESS - DirectX® 11
Replaced with AMD 270 R9
Memory - 1st Hard Disk 80GB Intel® X25-M 2.5" SSD (34nm / upto 250MB/sR |
2nd Hard Disk 1TB WD CAVIAR GREEN WD10EARS, SATA 3 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive 24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
Memory Card Reader INTERNAL 52 IN 1 CARD READER (XD, MS, CF, SD, etc) + 1 x USB 2.0
Power Supply CORSAIR 650W PSU (TX650) 80+ ULTRA QUIET
Processor Cooling SUPER QUIET 22dBA TRIPLE COPPER HEATPIPE CPU COOLER
Sound Card Sound Blaster® AudigyTM SE
Network Facilities WIRELESS 802.11N 300Mbps PCI CARD
USB Options 6 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL (MIN 2 FRONT PORTS) AS
Modem NONE, I WILL BE USING BROADBAND
Operating System Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence
Office Software FREE Microsoft® Office Starter 2010 (Limited functionality Word & Excel)
Anti-Virus NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Monitor 22" Wide TFT Silver/Black 1920 x1080 2MS D-Sub, DVI, 21.6" Panel
DVI-D & HDMI Monitor Cables 1 x 2 METRE DVI-D CABLE
Keyboard & Mouse Logitech® Cordless Desktop WaveTM Laser Mouse & Keyboard Combo
Speakers LOGITECH S120 2.0 BLACK SPEAKER SYSTEM

Last edited:

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
Look up youtube for coil whine, could be that.

if its that bad id send the card back.

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
650W PSU should be fine.
As mantadog said,it could be "Coil whine" or "cap whine" ,these are terms used to describe high pitched whistling/hissing sounds that can emanate from components such as capacitors or inductors on the motherboard or GPU for example, it's usually caused by high frequency power draw from the PSU and is normal to a certain extent.This can disappear after a short time,but if it persists and is really annoying, I would be looking for a replacement graphics card from the supplier.

Last edited:

alepow

Okay, so should I give it a week?

I've got Tropico 5 on at the moment (First time I've used the card for it) and now there's a buzzing, probably from the fans.
I'm in a little bit of a bind with regards to the card since I bought it as a replacement for another card which broke, so if I send this one back I'm without graphic-intensive games for a few days.

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
You can give it a few days to settle down as it does sometimes ease with a bit of usage. Otherwise if it really is that bad you will need to bite the bullet and send it back, does the company you bought it from not do advanced replacements, like PCS and big manufacturers often do with HDD's Motherboards etc.

You get them to send you a new one and you return the other one with the courier who delivers the replacement?

alepow

Hmm. I think the high pitched noise was probably just my Tinnitus provoked by the unfamiliar noise of my new card. (Funtimes: It's normally a background noise but if you find yourself thinking about a noise it comes back.)

Still getting a bit of noise from the fan during Tropico 5 though and sometimes just when the computer is running in the background.
Is this another thing which gets better with time?

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
Difficult to say without hearing it. Generally GPU's should be fairly silent when not doing anything, some noise under load is acceptable but only you can decide if it is too annoying to live with. Unless you are getting temperature or artefact issues the card is probably A-OK