High temps & Games running poorly

Reamzy

Heya guys.

So basically my laptop for somewhat I don't know reason gets really hot for some basic things like browsing internet with like 10 Chrome tabs.

Also I can't run games the same way I did 2-3 weeks ago. Games like Destiny 2 / Apex Legends that I could run perfectly on max settings and over 60+ FPS minimum.

Now I get 30-50 FPS in both games and is decreasing over time and lag increasing too over time

During game both my GPU and CPU stay at 85-86 Celsius and my GPU didn't got so hot before. The CPU had that temp in games since I've got it, I've been said it's normal temp, but I don't remember my GPU acting like that before and I think because of these temps maybe my games runs so bad.

Starkys

Not an expert but sounds like something is running in the background thats eating up your GPU resources (malware or some other program) or maybe the simple case of dust blocking the inside of your cooler grill. Both had happened with me before , if your system is idle and you have higher than normal temp plus cooler fan revving up theres a good chance there is something running in the background , if it only happens while gameing than i would check that grill .
But dont know how your warranty works so wait for a PCS rep here or write them directly , think thay are back at work on friday (27th)

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
If this has happened suddenly I would suspect malware driving your CPU hard. Task Manager will show you whether your CPU is working hard.

If this has happened slowly over time then i would also suggest a good internal clean. Make sure that the fined heat exchanger right next to the fan is completely free of dust and muck. That's where the bulk of the cooling is done and you need a good airflow through there.

Sent using Tapatalk

Reamzy

I don't know about stuff running in backgroud. In Task Manager I always have 2 things that are using the GPU a bit. ''Desktop Window Manager'' and ''Client Server Runtime Process''. After I closed everything I couldn't see anything that's using my CPU, besides Discord.

But still all my games are running with lower FPS that they used to.

I don't know a lot about laptops since this is my first one, but how often should be done a internal clean of dust? And how do you keep a good airflow when you're using it on a table?

Last edited:

Starkys

would defenetly use a cooler pad so it has better airflow , if your laptop is directly on the desk that limits its intake especially if its a gaming rig . how old is your laptop ? my msi dominator had to be cleaned at least once every 1 and a half years

Reamzy

would defenetly use a cooler pad so it has better airflow , if your laptop is directly on the desk that limits its intake especially if its a gaming rig . how old is your laptop ? my msi dominator had to be cleaned at least once every 1 and a half years

It's 1 year and 3 months old. Well, when I made the order for it I included the cooler pad they offer too but it didn't do much. My CPU was staying at 85 C while using the pad too.

While browsing my GPU stands at 40-50 and CPU at 50-60 (it ramps up every time I open Control Center so I try to approximate).
While gaming the CPU goes to 85-86 all the time, since I bought the laptop and it stays at that temp

Starkys

It's 1 year and 3 months old. Well, when I made the order for it I included the cooler pad they offer too but it didn't do much. My CPU was staying at 85 C while using the pad too.

While browsing my GPU stands at 40-50 and CPU at 50-60 (it ramps up every time I open Control Center so I try to approximate).
While gaming the CPU goes to 85-86 all the time, since I bought the laptop and it stays at that temp

Ye those temps are 10-20 celsius higher than normal so the lag and stutter during gaming is probably do to the CPU thruttleing as it gets hotter . im running a lot of open chrome windows and watching a movie atm and my GPU( gtx 980m ) stands at 33 while the CPU ( i7 ) is @36 . I used to get your temps before my last clean when my grills were almost completly blocked by dust so im almost sure you need to give the grill or grills a clean...
Obviosly im not an expert plus dont know how your warranty works so you should contact the seller directly before you do anything , just saying it worked for me and it could be that this is your laptops problem or one of your laptops problems.
Also ye the cooler pad , thay mostly there to help out the internal cooler and will never give you drastic temp drop.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine

CPU temp is definitely too high and will be thermal throttling to keep temps manageable.

I would suggest a proper clean out, ie removing the cover and blowing fans and fins with compressed air. If that still doesn't bring temps down, then a repaste on the CPU will be required.

Reamzy

CPU temp is definitely too high and will be thermal throttling to keep temps manageable.

I would suggest a proper clean out, ie removing the cover and blowing fans and fins with compressed air. If that still doesn't bring temps down, then a repaste on the CPU will be required.

You mean the temperature under load/gaming of 85-86? I had that temp during gaming since I bought the laptop. I made a thread then too about it because it seemed too much to me, but I've been told it's normal.

My concern is the GPU because it has the same temp while playing those game I have troubles with.

I've checked the Idle temps too and they are CPU 40 - 50 and GPU 35-40.