High temps on my optimus III

tom_gr7

Life Serving
So i've been having a bit of trouble recently with the missus laptop,

1st couldnt get any games to to use the 650m, nor can I seem to get any load on on the 650m.

2nd whilst browsing on the forums tonight, the fan ramped right up (wasn't even doing any other than 3 tabs on chrome) the cpu temp just kept climbing, all the way to 99c and shut down, the 650m was about 34c!

Turned on again, and within a few minutes of booting it started again...and shut down again, I tried to take a screenie but it shut down before I could save it.

Ran a nasty scan and found nothing, ran prime to see if i could replicate the high cpu temps, nah nowhere near got to about 75ish.

But I do think the idle temps are a tad high though.

picci.png

any ideas anyone?

M3zxu

Silver Level Poster
Seems like a bad CPU heatsink contact to me. Idle temps should be lower. You could try asking PCS if you can perform a repaste on the CPU without voiding warranty.

As for the optimus thing, have you checked both NVIDIA control panel and each program shortcut/exe for which GPU it's being started in?

Clothy

Thats really bad, I am planning on buying one of these at the end of the month but I am starting to be put off.

Heat problems are my worse nightmare.

I hope it can be fixed for you mate, i'd really hate to be in your shoes right now. Hope all goes well.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
thanks for the messages guys,

M3zxu, yeah I have set the nvidia settings to use the 650m, seems to have worked, although I dont really get what the VGA button does on the laptop. Gonna run a few games now,

Clothy, thanks dude, I am hoping the its because the cooler is not seated properly. I did run prime last night and couldnt get to 99c again. Will try that again today.

Clothy

It's a strange situation, let us know when it's back to full working order.

Also what cooler are you using, just wondering because i'll be buying one with the laptop. Cheers buddy.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
So I had another look this evening, with the similar temps.

picci.png

This was whilst the laptop as sat on top of my sniper case, so there was two 120mm fans blowing air at the bottom.

Its just the stock cooler, by the way mate.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
Anyone know of anyways to speed up the fan speed on this model?

gpu is always cool, but the CPU is always toasty...

tom_gr7

Life Serving
Have you requested an RMA?

Gave them a call mate, was told to re do the thermal paste.

There was a tad too much paste on the cpu, so gave it a clean, re applied some Artic MX 5, (will use my noctua paste later) instantly got lower cpu temps, booted up at bout 45 ish, then straight into prime 95, temp now is 71, going from 69-72/3 as opposed to mid 80's
So hopefully that will have fixed it

just hope it will go back down after running prime.