Higher capacity/12-cell Optimus V battery?

Chron

Just a quick question (wasn't sure where to ask this on the forum) - Does anyone know if there's any 12-cell (which is 7800 mAH I think) batteries available that are compatible with the Optimus V 15.6"? They're 14.8V, and the 8-cell supplied by default are 76.96Wh (model W370BAT-8) li-ion. I'd very much like to add something with a bit more beef but finding one that's compatible is proving to be tricky (even looking through OEM catalogues I'm struggling) - dimensions, prong position, and voltage are the keys but something with higher mAH rating would be great. To clarify, I don't simply want an additional battery that I'll have to swap out, I want a single higher capacity battery. It already lasts 4-6 hours on moderate usage between charges but pushing this up to 3-4 hours of intense gaming or 8-9 hours of moderate usage would be great (I've got it setup as I like and I'm minimizing power usage where ever I can).

Alternatively, can anyone recommend a good quality high-capacity mobile battery pack that I can simply plug in to this Optimus V power port to extend the runtime? I've not got the charger in front of me so I'm not sure what it's output voltage or amperage is (I'll check this later but any recommendations in the mean time are welcome). I've seen a few on Amazon (some as high as 26000 mAH) but I'm not sure if they're rated correctly for the Optimus V or not (or whether they're good quality) or whether they're just aimed at mobile phones and tablets (i.e. with 2A or 1A USB outputs).

EDIT: Charger output is 19.5V at 6.15A (120W).

Last edited:

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
I don't think those battery packs are rated for the kind of current draw the laptop would make on them. The only way I can think of using a battery would be a car battery through an inverter... Not very practical for every day use.

As for a replacement battery pack, you should be able to get higher capacity ones. I have a torch that takes the 18650 type batteries, they are the same kind as you find inside laptop batteries and they come in very large capacity. I got some cheap ones for a start and they were rated at something like 2600mAH but lasted about 5 minutes then shut down. I then invested in a good quality set rated at 2800mAH and they last for 90 minutes. I think you get them in capacities up to like 3100mAH each so if you could even find a way of swapping them in your existing battery pack.

We have a guy here who knows about this kind of stuff, I have sent him a PM asking him to drop by and see what he says.

moosEh

Administrator
Staff member
Sadly there are no official batteries beyond the stock version we sell, Others may work but may not.

halox

Enthusiast
I am not familiar with the Optamus V. But here goes.

The task you have set yourself is not an easy one. Trying to fit more cells inside the same space tends to mean you loose quality, or cell wall thickness and most probably both these things.

You need to get a battery pack with the 19.5V with a minimum 6.15A output rating, that's a must. The higher the current output the battery has the longer the charge will have. Using external batteries is always dodgy on something as delicate as a laptop as the voltage has to be pretty accurate. On chargers the voltage regulator circuit maintains the required voltage. When it gets to the stage it cannot supply the 19.5V it cuts of the supply to avoid supplying the laptop with a lower voltage which could damage it. The same goes for a higher voltage.

If your laptop uses the full 6.15A supply (it won't) that equates to 6.15 Amps per hour usage. To game for 9 hours you would need a 55Ah battery which is approx the same as a good car battery. The 7800mAh would get you about 1 hour 15 mins approx on full load. The W370BAT-8 battery would get you even less than 1 hour.

If you can tell me the Ah of the supplied battery and how long you get on full load with it, ie gaming its ass off. I can work out what you would need to get the 9 hours and see if it is possible.

Chron

Ah, that's unfortunate. I sorta expected this answer, so I'd honestly rather not risk it. It's a little inconvenient having to charge it but in the end the convenience of a laptop does come at a price.

Thanks anyway :)