Hooooooooooooooo!

omens

Gold Level Poster
Posted a couple of times and then saw this section. :stupid:

Anyway, figured I'd say hi.

My old laptop broke after seven years of duty. Loved it - Acer 1682WLMi but during the last few years, it started to fall apart. The first to go was the wireless antenna. No problem - plugged in a PCMCIA card and that was fine. But overuse meant the eject button for the slot broke. Then battery wouldn't hold much of a charge, but by this point it was a DTR and so it was always plugged in. earlier this year, I dropped it and the optical drive came out. It wasn't a removable one (well you could change it but it involved opening the case!) but duct tape held it in place pretty well. Then the cover plate thing for the OD came off and won't go back on so I had to switch to using the eject button on the right-click menu.

All was fine until my sister knocked over an empty glass. Or she thought was empty and simply turned it upright. Turn on the laptop and it wouldn't switch on. No AC power light and no battery power. After tracking down traces of water and drying them, I managed to get it to switch on but wouldn't pass POST. Stripped it apart, removed all traces of orange squash using IPA and some detailing swabs but still no go. :mad:

So..................I'm now left with having to use my NC10 netbook and it's a pain to do anything more than light browsing. I was directed to Kobalt and PCS. Kobalt had a screen with higher gamut but lead times and lots of complaints, as well as cost, drove me to order my new replacement laptop.

>clicky<

It's in pre-production Day 3 and it's a bit of an agonising wait. I'm so used to things arriving within 1-2 days via RM/courier that I've forgotten what it feels like to wait for so long.

Rakk

The Awesome
Hi and welcome to the forums.

And yes the wait does seem to last forever, but it's worth it :)

omens

Gold Level Poster
Thanks.

Deadeye, is that the duck from Bucky O'Hare? He used to remind me of what Daffy Duck would be like if he grew up on the hard side of town! :D

I've also noticed the lead time has dropped. It was 100% by 14 days but it's around 98% after a month, which means some people still haven't received their laptop.

I wonder whether fiddling with the order would expedite it or not.

Rakk

The Awesome
I wonder whether fiddling with the order would expedite it or not.

If you make changes whilst it's in pre-production then it shouldn't change the time at all unless you change from something that was in stock to something that isn't in stock or vice versa.