horrible scraping sound from something in pc

spikopsycho

Enthusiast
Hi guys. 2 days ago mh pc developed a ratling noise. I guessed it might be something in a fan come loose.
Tonight, while watching a movie, i suddenly headd a much louder scrapi.g noise. I immidiatelh turned pc off, gonna open it and look in daylight.
It doesnt seem to be the front fan of the case ( inwin fanqua or pcs maelstrom case ) .

spikopsycho

Enthusiast
Sorrh for double post, problems with phone lol.

Anyone got anh ideas? I know its pretty vague but its a loud noise. Ill post more if i find out later

baron75mk2

Banned
could you describe the noise ? - is it like a ticking , or oscillating scraping noise , or does it sound like something is touching a fan - i have had issues with a sleight scraping noise from my fans bearings , but its now gone completely - could it just be a rattly scrapey fan bearing ? cast your ears over the all the fans & try to isolate witch one it is that's making the noise - but if its really loud then a call to tech support could be in order. :yes:

Also do you have a liquid cpu cooler ? , if so see if the noise could be coming from the pump on the processor , if it is , turn off the pc and call tech support

Last edited:

Corfate

Author Level
All the things barron has said really.

My ideas are that it could be:

-HDD going out
-Cable catching fan
-Liquid CPU pump dying (my H100 suffered, got it RMA'd)
-Something in GPU fan

harfle

look for anything that has moving pieces in your computer :yes:

really I guess that's all anyone could suggest with the information given, try open the comp up and work out where the noise is coming from, ie. from the front > hd? or maybe nearer to motherboard could be h100 as someone else said or the thumb screws coming loose on the fans?

baron75mk2

Banned
also forgot to mention to check the pci slot covers on the back , they have been known to rattle sometimes on certain cases

spikopsycho

Enthusiast
All sorted! Thankyou all for all the help. (+rep)

Opened it up, and couldn't see anything obvious, so I decided to clean it first as there were huuuge clumps of dust, so got some compressed air and did that.

Put it back together and was still making the noise, so opened it again, and moved long wires away, cable tied them etc. That seems to have sorted it so I guess it was just a cable catching on the fan blades.

Glad it was nothing more than that lol :).

Thanks all