Horrible wireless speeds

morowe

Bronze Level Poster
--EDIT-- I have fixed the problem, if anyone else has this problem check that both aerials are completely clicked into there bent position; the position didn't seem to matter until I clicked it fully

Hey,

I've had my computer a while now and the wireless has been fine. However I'm back from uni for a break and the wireless performance is dismal! I thought it was just my home internet being its usual self except my girlfriends laptop seemed to have a fast connection (around 3mB/s), I then checked the speed on my phone and got a similar speed and my sisters desktop had a similar performance. I on the other hand only have 0.1mb/s. In Nottingham, (at uni) I was getting the same sort of speeds as everyone (much higher because of the better internet service)

So what could've caused my computer to be performing so badly compared to others? I thought maybe position but my phone and girlfriends laptop were in a similar place in the same room. I tried moving the aerials but that didn't seem to make a difference ( the wirless adapter comes with two, what i assume are aerials, attached to the back).

any ideas?

(I'm using a Edimax EW-7612Pin wirless PCI-Express adapter, which comes with a config utility which shows my signal strength is 58% and link quality is 93% ( it also says Tx:19.5Mbps and Rx6.5Mbps))

thanks.

Last edited:

morowe

Bronze Level Poster
like all technical issues I spent all yesterday evening and this morning trying to fix a problem only to fix it straight after I post! I will edit my original post incase anyone has similar problems.