hot weather pc problems.

rudolph93

Silver Level Poster
Well in the uk (atleast where i am) its been really hot and i knew with the hot air my pc would struggle more than usually does. well not that it struggles..

Anyways lately its been randomly turning itself off when am playing games on it like battlefield 3 or diablo 3, i think my CPU might need repasting, and maybe my pc needs a dust clean inside, not alot dust there but is a bit. i cleaned the fan Filters every week, i usually have the front of my pc facing the wall but now cleared my desk and put it on there so it can have my room to get air and facing towards me.

What i need is advice to be honest, am not a total pro inside computers and dont know if its the CPU over anything else, i just know it happens after a few minutes-hours when playing on games when browsing on the internet it is fine although, i have noticed that usually when browsing my CPU temp is around 38-42 degree's max but atm its hovers at 48-50 degress which is why i think it could also be the CPU.

Case: CM Strom enforcer
GPU: GTX 570
CPU: AMD phenom II x4 965

fan wise not 100% sure but think i have front (intake) 1 bottom (intake i think) 1 back (outtake) and dont any on top just like PCS gave it me.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
My CPU is around 35'C and when gaming it reaches 55'C, my computer has never shut down. Have you try running 3Dmark11 to check how your GPU handles that? What are the temps of your GPU when gaming?

Corfate

Author Level
What CPU cooler do you have?

Does sound like the PC is overheating, especially with the room temps being higher due to this awful heat! For example, my CPU is up from 30c to 33-34.

I think it'd be beneficial to get yourself a fan controller and some more fans to add to your case, should definitely help cool the inside down :) Usually, thermal paste will last a few years without needing to be replaced, so i doubt this is the problem. The fins on the heatsink may be clogged with dust and crap, so give your pc a good clean, sit it away from objects so it has a good few cm to draw air in :)

rudolph93

Silver Level Poster
well atm opened up wow for a few mins an just sat in stormwind for about 10-15mins gpu:61 degree's atm and CPU a 53 degrees but usally after an hour or so playing it happens the first hour or so is fine but after that seems to goto pot. Ill take my cpu of tomorrow and go B&Q for some some compresed air to give it a propper clean aswell as the graphics card and case fans.

Considering ordering a top fan aswell, but would it be an intake or out take?

edit: after i wrote this i turned it off to cooldown, but when looking at fans(buyin an extra) are they all the same just you put them on a certain way depending on what you need?

also should i get 1 200mm fan or 2 120mm fans? also will my motherboard have the extra thing for it?

edit2: Motherboard - ASUS® M5A99X EVO:USB 3.0, SATA 6.0Gb/s, Quad CrossFireX™/SLI™

Last edited:

rudolph93

Silver Level Poster
okay could my pc be turning off because the psu overheated at all? because i noticed it tends to be really hot where it is when i picked it up so i could clean the fans. Also ill like to add it does turn itself back on aswell.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
okay could my pc be turning off because the psu overheated at all? because i noticed it tends to be really hot where it is when i picked it up so i could clean the fans. Also ill like to add it does turn itself back on aswell.

Is your PC still under warranty? I'd give PCS a call.

Gishank

Bright Spark
The PSU tends to get very hot anyway. Just ignore it.
Though your issue sounds like what I was having, your GPU overheating due to the increased temps. You could temporary resolve this by downclocking your GPU till you can get more fans, or it cools.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
my psu never gets hot, I've never once felt it even slightly warm.

what i would do is, download gpu z,(monitors gpu stuff) then set them to "log to file" and "refresh" then do ya gaming, after it shuts down and reboots, open up the file, and look what the max gpu temp was, we can then either rule in or out the gpu causing the shut downs.

Buzz

Master
Could always get something like the spot cool and add it to computer and just point it at the hottest areas making sure there is good clear space between it and and exhaust fan.

Stock.jpg

http://www.antec.com/product.php?id=1248&pid=100

Rakk

The Awesome
what i would do is, download gpu z,(monitors gpu stuff) then set them to "log to file" and "refresh" then do ya gaming, after it shuts down and reboots, open up the file, and look what the max gpu temp was, we can then either rule in or out the gpu causing the shut downs.

I'd go for doing this, as tom_gr7 said it will show if overheating is the problem, might want to do the same for the CPU as well, just to check.
Cos there is always a possibility its not heat related at all, it just happens to have shown up at the same time as its been really hot :)

baron75mk2

Banned
From your posts , it seems to be overheating when playing games ? - looked at your CPU temps , mines about 36c at the moment & if i watch a High Def video or watch a flash vid it can get a bit hotter with the higher ambient temps that we are getting at the moment , i cant really see any issue there tbh as AMD chips tend to be a little hotter than intels anyway.

I'm more interested in the GPU temps when playing battlefield 3 , run msi afterburner & play 20mins of battlefield 3 & see what the temps are on the gpu.

When you say the PSU is hot , it should be warm but not really hot ( well mine is fairly cold at the moment ) , if it is real hot then its not getting enough air to it would be my guess.

Storm enforcer is a nice well ventilated case , so i cant see that being the issue , more than like likely the GPU is getting to hot (as its mainly doing it when playing games) - is there any kind of overclock anywhere ? - CPU or GPU .

Possibly a re-install of the GPU drivers would be a good thing to do as well.

Cant see that the cpu temps are to high myself , for reference the hottest day last week i ran prime 95 for 2hours on extreme stress test on a 4.60ghz overclock with an average temp of 74c with no issues , processors will have to get very hot indeed before shutting down due to heat issues & they will throttle down before this as well.

As long as they stay under 80c they shouldn't shut down ( intel recommends no higher than 72 for mine , but no matter 38c when browsing & maybe going to 50c when watching vids or flash heavy webpages on a real hot day would not be enough to shut down or throttle the processor.)

as a previous poster suggested run prime 95 for 20mins or so & see what the temps for the CPU are ( they will get high in prime they are supposed to)

& then tell me the GPU temps when running battlefield 3 with msi afterburner (freeware & it works on all nvidia cards , not just msi cards)

Also what PSU do you have ? & what is the wattage rating on it ?

Last edited:

rudolph93

Silver Level Poster
my psu never gets hot, I've never once felt it even slightly warm.

okay i've just download gpuz and set it to log, ill post it up next time it turns off.

Also thanks for all the other replys aswell :)

keynes

Multiverse Poster
okay i've just download gpuz and set it to log, ill post it up next time it turns off.

Also thanks for all the other replys aswell :)

I'd also run 3DMark11, when I was having problems with my GTX 580 the GPU will not allow me to complete the test (overheating).

rudolph93

Silver Level Poster
well today its been fine although it has been cooler today.. think i might just need an extra fan to keep it cool?

Corfate

Author Level
Top should be exhaust :) Intakes on the front and bottom, exhaust top and rear :) Side should also be intake if you have mounting places :)