How can they know I've downloaded a program

ellspeedy

Enthusiast
Hey guys

Random question!

How can a company tell that you have downloaded a program onto your computer before? And is there any way of making them forget I have downloaded it?

cheers!

steaky360

That depends on what you mean.

Can you elaborate?

Please note you cannot discuss ways of circumventing security/copyright/etc. on these forums.

ellspeedy

Enthusiast
I think your last point may prevent me from elaborating :/

Never mind, I thought it might have been an iffy subject!

LFFPicard

Godlike
if your talking about free trials, usually you cant as most sites now require a email or something to link to the fact you had a trial. Also i believe alot may also leave a mark in the registry so if you try and install again the trial will still be expired.

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
Even if you don't enter any personal info the trial programme leaves a fingerprint in the registry. When you go to re install it the installer looks for the trial marker and if found wont let you have another free trial.

DaelpixPhotos

Super Star
Even if you don't enter any personal info the trial programme leaves a fingerprint in the registry. When you go to re install it the installer looks for the trial marker and if found wont let you have another free trial.

Odd is that because I downloaded a trial of Lightroom 5 but deleted it. I then downloaded it again with no problems.

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
Odd is that because I downloaded a trial of Lightroom 5 but deleted it. I then downloaded it again with no problems.

Was that on the same installation of the OS? Did you use any software to delete it, other than just a normal uninstall? I'm not familiar with the trial of lightroom 5 but could it be perhaps its missing some key features, or it is a fully functional trial for a limited time? Every app I have ever tried had a cut off free period that once uninstalled would leave behind a marker for any fresh installations of the trial, no way is adobe letting you just reinstall it after the free trial over and over again.

DaelpixPhotos

Super Star
Same OS.
I just uninstalled it in the Control Panel>Uninstall programs

I uninstalled it again just now and I'm reinstalling it.

The trial is for 12 days

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
that is very odd, every trial software I've downloaded usually leaves something in the registry (as mentioned above) or is not fully functional. That includes Adobe software (Dreamweaver).

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
Ah so you were trying to re install it while the trial was still active.

Amazing eh, no way to get a free lunch :)