How do I get SPDIF out of my Optimus II?

baines93

Bronze Level Poster
Hi guys,

I understand my Optimus II has SPDIF, right? Which of the 3x 3.5mm sockets has SPDIF functionality also?

I presume it is Coaxial SPDIF? Do I just stick a regular coaxial cable in there? I only ask, as I have never seen one... but online pictures make it seem like too bigger connector?

I'm looking at new speakers and weighing up my connectivity options.

Thanks,

Matt.

baines93

Bronze Level Poster
Any ideas?

I've chose my speakers, but before I order them, i'd like to know that they will accept the digital out from the laptop... else i'd pick different speakers!

They have Coaxial in, which looks like RCA... obviously the socket on the laptop looks much smaller. I'd really like to know what cables I'll need, but more importantly, if i'll be able to output a digital signal to them from the laptop, directly.

Please help!

Thanks,

Matt

AshleyUK

Bronze Level Poster
Hello,

From what I know it is one of these, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1M-Optica...uting_CablesConnectors_RL&hash=item2eb943dbc0

Which is a standard SPDIF cable which if your speakers are digital will have an input for, and is what you laptop should have, however im with you the socket is round and different, on my Vortex II aswell which has same connection, when the conector on my USB sound card is a square shape which matches the cable perfectly.

Maybe give PCS a call tommrowow if you want to know for definte exactly.

AshleyUK

Bronze Level Poster
Yup that looks alot more correct to me, cant believe no where in the Manual or on Celvo website does it say the exact socket type apart from SPDIF

baines93

Bronze Level Poster
Hmmm, laptop shows that there is a digital sound output device, and as media is played, the green bar in the sound mixer panel in windows pumps up and down, yet I get no sound out...

There is also no red light in the port, or down the cable... but the device manager shows "Realtek High Definition Audio" as well as "Intel(R) Display Audio"... yet no sound, or red optical light.

Any ideas? Drivers?

Annoying me! :(

baines93

Bronze Level Poster
I've uninstalled and reinstalled the Realtek drivers.
I've uninstalled them and let the soundcard use the standard windows drivers.
I've gotten the latest drivers from Realtek, and installed, rebooted etc. instead of the ones from PCS.
I plugged the squarer toslink end into the TV output, instead of the speaker input, and I get red light out the other end of the cable, so the new cable does work...

One thing I noticed, now, when back on Realtek drivers, from their website, when on the "Speaker" tab in their UI, if I plug a 3.5mm plug into the mic port, the tab switches to the "Microphone" settings tab... same when plugging into the headphone port. When unplugging/plugging in, a bubble pops up from the tray telling you you've plugged something in/unplugged something, yet when plugging in the mini toslink cable, nothing.

Is it the right cable and/or is the port not sensing the cable?

Not sure it's drivers anymore :shaun:

Wondering what to try next? Is the cable the wrong cable for the port? I can't see what else it could be though...? Is the port even working?

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Have you the option of setting SPDIF Out as default by
right clicking on the speaker icon in the right corner of the taskbar/ select playback,
right click SPDIF Out/set as default device/apply.
If it's not showing right click on a device & select "show disabled devices" & "show disconnected devices"

Last edited:

baines93

Bronze Level Poster
I did that when I plugged the optical cable in...

And when I click show disabled, as well as show disconnected, nothing changes. Still the same two devices...

Thanks anyway for your advice. Any other ideas?

baines93

Bronze Level Poster
Really annoying me this is! Is it drivers? Does the port just not work?

I remember before my machine was repaired, I vaguely remember there once being a red light in the port... should it always be there? I've never seen it on the new one...

baines93

Bronze Level Poster
Oh that doesn't sound good, since I think I have all the drivers on properly... I really hope it doesn't have to go back :(

Guess i'll have to call (the expensive number!) and see if the tech support have any ideas...

PokerFace

Banned
Oh that doesn't sound good, since I think I have all the drivers on properly... I really hope it doesn't have to go back :(

Guess i'll have to call (the expensive number!) and see if the tech support have any ideas...

Why ring "the expensive number"?

Personally, I would just call customer support on 0844 499 4000 as everyone else does.

baines93

Bronze Level Poster
My apologies! I have access to a landline now i'm home for uni, so yes, cheap... expensive on my mobile a few weeks ago though! :)