How does UEFI/BIOS updates and driver updates work with PCS build laptops?

Mustafo95

Silver Level Poster
I've always bought laptops from big brands like Dell, HP and Sony and with those companies, you'd find everything on their support section of the website.
With drivers it's easy enough, I can get them directly from intel/nvidia. But what about UEFI updates

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Where those are needed you can get them from the downloads section of your PCS account. If it's a Clevo chassis you can also get these from Clevo.

The advice is generally to not update the BIOS without checking with them first. Updating the BIOS for the sake of it isn't always smart.

Mustafo95

Silver Level Poster
Where those are needed you can get them from the downloads section of your PCS account. If it's a Clevo chassis you can also get these from Clevo.

The advice is generally to not update the BIOS without checking with them first. Updating the BIOS for the sake of it isn't always smart.

Great! Thanks. I'm new to this bespoke laptops. Just trying to get all the unknowns cleared up

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
It's definitely not wise to update any BIOS just for the sake of it. If you don't need whatever new feature is in the update (or if it's not applicable to you) then as long as its all working fine it's best left alone.

Definitely talk to PCS before updating the BIOS. In my personal experience they can tell you whether you need the update. To be sure of keeping the warranty valid its wise to check with them first in any case.

Much the same is true of drivers. If the driver is working and you don't need whatever new feature is in a driver update then leave well alone.

See also https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?ur...hare_tid=60288&share_fid=2139543&share_type=t

Mustafo95

Silver Level Poster
Much the same is true of drivers. If the driver is working and you don't need whatever new feature is in a driver update then leave well alone.
All right, calm down mate. Updating drivers is not that big of a deal, if something happens, you could simply reinstall the older version, you could use windows restore, worst case scenario, you could nuke windows and install it again from a usb. It won't brick your hardware. Now BIOS/UEFI, I can understand the caution with those. I've only done it few times in 7 years, was fortunate enough to never have a problem.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
All right, calm down mate. Updating drivers is not that big of a deal, if something happens, you could simply reinstall the older version, you could use windows restore, worst case scenario, you could nuke windows and install it again from a usb. It won't brick your hardware. Now BIOS/UEFI, I can understand the caution with those. I've only done it few times in 7 years, was fortunate enough to never have a problem.
Well despite your less than friendly first sentence there (where did that come from?), you're right that updating drivers is not a big deal. My point is that it is not necessary to always update drives to the latest version as you would with other software - because drivers are not just 'other software'. In fact, and for reasons I explain in the link I posted, in many cases your system is more reliable if you don't update drivers.

It's your system though, so you're of course free to do whatever pleases you.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Updating GPU drivers is something you'll do very often, probably. They contain performance improvements, and bug and security fixes - though do of course introduce new bugs from time to time.

With other drivers I might tend a bit more towards ubuysa's viewpoint. Partly out of deference to their experience, but also from my own experience of having to find a very specific LAN driver version that would play nice with our Asus Z97-A motherboard and let it actually wake on lan. Newer versions seem to break that. In principle it's not much more faff than messing around with a GPU driver, but personally I find it's always more hassle or stressful when the networking stops playing nice rather than DDU-ing and reinstalling a GPU driver version. Plus I don't need new game-ready profiles for my network card, I just need it to work and wake on lan; as long as it's doing that, I leave it in peace :)

Mustafo95

Silver Level Poster
Well despite your less than friendly first sentence there (where did that come from?), you're right that updating drivers is not a big deal. My point is that it is not necessary to always update drives to the latest version as you would with other software - because drivers are not just 'other software'. In fact, and for reasons I explain in the link I posted, in many cases your system is more reliable if you don't update drivers.

It's your system though, so you're of course free to do whatever pleases you.

Hahaha, telling someone someone to calm down over a innocuous matter as if they personally insulted your lineage is just a joke man. Like when you tell your mates to calm their []. No need to get worked up :) It just didn't come off as well in a text.

Last edited by a moderator: