How easy is it to add an extra DVD drive?

shades

Silver Level Poster
Excuse me for what is no doubt a very basic question but I've never done anything more than add a video or audio card to a pc before now.

When I get my new pc I was thinking of sticking in the DVD drive from my old machine. How easy is it to do this/what is involved?

Ta
Mark

JSG10

Expert
Extremely easy. I've got the same case, CM690II and I took mine out and replaced it with a new one so easily. Pop the sides and the front off. Unscrew a couple of screws, take out the 2 connections from the back, unlock bay, slide out. To put a new one in, just do it in reverse.

shades

Silver Level Poster
Thanks for the reply. I'm not looking to replace but add though. Presumably I would need additional connections?

Meds

You would need a power connection (from the PSU inside the PC) and a SATA or IDE Cable (depending on the DVD Drive you have). A couple of SATA Cables may have been included in your Welcome Pack to help with upgrades such as this.

JSG10

Expert
They might also come with the drive depending on who you get it from. Sata cables are cheap though. And you'll have a spare power connection in there from your PSU no problem. You should have a few spare!

Meds

Is the drive you have definitely SATA? If so, I'll get them to fit the sata cable and leave a power connection spare so it's nice & easy when you get it.

shades

Silver Level Poster
Not sure about the DVD drive, I think it's actually IDE. However, I've got a SATA HDD that I want to fit when I get the machine. So an extra connection set up for that would be wonderful! :) Thanks Meds.