How I made a Real Lightsaber (kind of) youtube vid

• Thread starter Deleted member 41971
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 41971

I put this in the sub category "books, Music and film" as its to do with star wars and is really cool. :love:

"Alex Burkan (Russia), the man behind the YouTube channel Alex Lab, has created the first retractable lightsaber (of sorts). The lightsaber produces a plasma blade measuring over 1 m (3.28 ft) in length. Reaching temperatures over 2,800°C (5,072°F), the blade has the ability to cut through steel".

Tron1982

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Awesome !
The funny thing is, long time ago (something like 15 years ago) i read a book about "real life" star wars science, and the author (a scientist) said that lightsaber shoulb be "plasma blade saber"
(and for the record, theorically, the fisrt lightsaber had a battery like the one mentionned at the end of the video)
And it's happening !!! \o/

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Awesome !
The funny thing is, long time ago (something like 15 years ago) i read a book about "real life" star wars science, and the author (a scientist) said that lightsaber shoulb be "plasma blade saber"
(and for the record, theorically, the fisrt lightsaber had a battery like the one mentionned at the end of the video)
And it's happening !!! \o/
It really does go to show, all the great sci-fi films and series that we grew up with, all those "fantasy" bits of tech that were just figments of peoples imagination are all coming to fruition.

The older I get, the more I believe that we're capable of anything we set our minds to.

I'm just waiting for teleportation, fed up of having to actually get up and move.

Tron1982

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
A french creator did, with Arte a serie of animated sketch pretty fun about science
Of course, they did one about lightsaber :

And here is the link for the whole channel ^^

Enjoy :D

For once, it french dubbed with english subtitles XD

Nymor

I'm just waiting for teleportation, fed up of having to actually get up and move.
I seem to remember from my copy of

rQoghUE.jpg

that teleportation was one of the few Star Trek technologies that wasn't theoretically possible.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I seem to remember from my copy of

rQoghUE.jpg

that teleportation was one of the few Star Trek technologies that wasn't theoretically possible.
It's a concept in quantum mechanics, it's called quantum entanglement. Previously most quantum theory was still rather mocked, it's only really since the 90's that it's been really embraced as an actual possibility.

No matter how much I read about quantum physics, I don't pretend to understand it, it's such a vast departure from any currently understood binary approach to the world.

But they've achieved it in computing and now physics:

Our bodies are simply a collection of atoms held together. I see no reason why we can't translate this to matter, obviously not in my lifetime, it's gonna take a while. But perhaps inanimate object will be achievable a long way before this.

But when Quantum Computing becomes more mature, that's going to send our technological advancement through the roof in a matter of decades with the sheer amount of data they can process in a matter of seconds.

And then there's even weirder black hole theory:

Last edited:

Nymor

I don't believe the transporter is related to quantum entanglement - reporting of QE has been likening it to the transporter but it isn't the case.
For QE to work the atoms need to be entangled and then separated. Action on one of the entangled atoms is then reflected on the other - but they both still exist.

The chapter on the transporter in the above book - forward by Stephen Hawking - is called "Atoms or Bits" and discusses many aspects including quantum mechanics - the Heisenberg uncertainty principle really gets in the way - and while beaming down is hard enough beaming up adds even more levels of difficulty - nee impossibility. It concludes...

"Or, to put it less negatively, building a transporter would require us to heat up matter to a temperature a million times the temperature at the center of the Sun, expend more energy in a single machine than all of humanity presently uses, build telescopes larger than the size of the Earth, improve present computers by a factor of 1000 billion billion, and avoid the laws of quantum mechanics. It's no wonder that Lieutenant Barclay was terrified of beaming! I think Gene Roddenberry, if faced with this challenge in real life , would probably choose instead to budget for a landable starship"

The book is a fun read so worth buying imo - but there is also a pdf version on the web at

and the relevant chapter starts at the end of page 31 (to p40) of the pdf

(edit: the pdf doesn't reproduce 10^nn very well so you see 1024, for example, which should read 10^24 or 10e24 etc)

Last edited: