How long to charge battery pack?

chrisssj2

I got the Octane II.
And I use the laptop as desktop replacement.
I am wondering how long I should charge the battery first time if I were to use it.
Normally I don't have it attached since it would reduce battery life span the way I am using it.

And how regular should I charge the battery in case of inactivity to keep best health.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Li-Ion batteries do not suffer from the same memory effect that the older Ni-Cads did, so it's not as important to monitor the way you use and charge your laptop battery. The single biggest enemy to Li-Ion batteries is heat, so keep the battery as cool as you can, a laptop cooling pad is useful for this too.

The first charge should normally be for 24 hours (don't use the laptop in this period) but again, Li-Ion batteries are much more tolerant. All rechargeable batteries like to be kept charged so it's better for the battery to be in the laptop where it can be kept fully charged than it is in a cupboard somewhere losing charge.

I use my laptop on mains power all the time, just like a desktop, except when we're at sea. The battery is always installed and after almost 3 years of this kind of use I can still get at least two hours of normal use when running on the battery.

My advice would be to leave the battery in, keep it as cool as you can, and don;t worry about it.

chrisssj2

Li-Ion batteries do not suffer from the same memory effect that the older Ni-Cads did, so it's not as important to monitor the way you use and charge your laptop battery. The single biggest enemy to Li-Ion batteries is heat, so keep the battery as cool as you can, a laptop cooling pad is useful for this too.

The first charge should normally be for 24 hours (don't use the laptop in this period) but again, Li-Ion batteries are much more tolerant. All rechargeable batteries like to be kept charged so it's better for the battery to be in the laptop where it can be kept fully charged than it is in a cupboard somewhere losing charge.

I use my laptop on mains power all the time, just like a desktop, except when we're at sea. The battery is always installed and after almost 3 years of this kind of use I can still get at least two hours of normal use when running on the battery.

My advice would be to leave the battery in, keep it as cool as you can, and don;t worry about it.

Ah I see. The guy I had on the phone of this shop said it would detere the life of the battery.
Though as it looks like you said it, it doesn't seem to be very serious.
But, maybe my laptop usage is higher then yours? lets say it is 16 hours a day on...

Lets say if I don't end up using the battery it would be okay to leave it for a couple a months or just charge it once a month or something?

Last edited:

MichaelBarnes

For me i charge all day my charger with battery of course. I used it around 15-16 hours and i don't unplug it. I unplug my charger if i'm asleep.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Ah I see. The guy I had on the phone of this shop said it would detere the life of the battery.
Though as it looks like you said it, it doesn't seem to be very serious.
But, maybe my laptop usage is higher then yours? lets say it is 16 hours a day on...

Lets say if I don't end up using the battery it would be okay to leave it for a couple a months or just charge it once a month or something?

Mine gets used for around 15-16 hours every day too, and it's on mains power all that time.