How often do you change laptops?

michty_me

Evening all!
I've been browsing the forums and noticed some people state they have had laptops for 5+ years still going strong and others sell their laptop at the 3 year point.
Reason I ask is that I'm holding off for the Ryzen 4000 series (as many of you are) but unsure if I should go mid range with a 4600 and 5600m/1660ti then sell after 3 years or so or just go a bit higher tier and grab a 4800H with a 5700M or similar so I get as much out of it as possible.
What are your plans if you are to buy new?

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
It really depends on what you use it for, how hard you drive it, and how often you use it...

michty_me

It really depends on what you use it for, how hard you drive it, and how often you use it...

It will probably be used for 95% gaming and the rest web browsing when I'm away from home. No productivity use.
This is what has made me consider intel but something in my mind keeps telling me to wait.

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
I tend to be hard on laptops. They have to survive being dragged the length and breadth of the UK and Europe with me for work.

They're regularly driven to their extremes of performance (albeit for relatively short spaces of time) when I fire up entire virtualised environments to demonstrate things to customers or run mobile labs.

I've never been a huge gamer but occasionally will for a bit of R&R.

I used to go through laptops roughly every 18 months. Then I bought a MacBook Pro which served me for close to 5 years followed by a PCS Defiance II which also served me for just shy of 5 years and in all that time it never missed a beat.

Longevity and build quality wise you would struggle to beat PCS full stop. You would certainly struggle for the price!

michty_me

I tend to be hard on laptops. They have to survive being dragged the length and breadth of the UK and Europe with me for work.

They're regularly driven to their extremes of performance (albeit for relatively short spaces of time) when I fire up entire virtualised environments to demonstrate things to customers or run mobile labs.

I've never been a huge gamer but occasionally will for a bit of R&R.

I used to go through laptops roughly every 18 months. Then I bought a MacBook Pro which served me for close to 5 years followed by a PCS Defiance II which also served me for just shy of 5 years and in all that time it never missed a beat.

Longevity and build quality wise you would struggle to beat PCS full stop. You would certainly struggle for the price!

Thanks for your insight.
My laptop would also be taken about travelling places so need reliability too.
Having thought about it last night, I'll hang fire and wait to see what comes in the next month or so. I think ideally I would like a PCS laptop as i've been recommended them before and from what I've heard about the customer support.