How often to clean PC?

T

TheGeeza

Every 6 months or so.
A year seems to long to me especially if you don't have dust filters.

GeorgeHillier

Prolific Poster
Every 6 months or so.
A year seems to long to me especially if you don't have dust filters.

Yeah, 6 months is about right. I have a dust filter and I cleaned it the other day, after 6 months of having the case, and it was very dusty, it had a skin of dust on it which was pretty thick. It's helped with noise as the fans aren't working as hard now.

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
Depends on your case position, if you have pets, how long the system is on for each day and even the airflow in your case is setup.

Give it a look after 6 months and see what it looks like, I tend to do mine a couple of times per year but your mileage may vary.

Boozad

Prolific Poster
My Haswell rig I do every six months as it's on all the time when I'm home. Fortunately we have no pets and have laminate flooring so dust in the lounge stays at a minimum, but it still needs cleaning regularly. On the other hand my AMD rig is a couple of months older than my Haswell rig and lives in my kids' bedroom, sits on a carpet in a room full of cuddly, fluffy toys. I added an SSD to it a couple of months ago and there was hardly any dust in it at all even though it has never been cleaned, all because it's hardly ever used.

In short, have a look and if it's dusty clean it out.