How Steam Makes You Buy Games That You never Play

HomerJ

Prolific Poster
It'll be 3000 in the next couple of months!

Shocked Homer Simpson GIF - Shocked HomerSimpson TheSimpsons - Discover ...

this dude has over 35000 games

Last edited:

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
im so low the list doesn't go that far :ROFLMAO:

i clicked on the profile on that list of the person with the most games, most played, dota 2, 6239 hours played :oops:

To be fair, you're probably second on the Springfield list behind Comic Book Guy!

Playing around with the lists on that site, there are some truly mind boggling numbers on there. The person with the most playtime on Steam according to that site has a touch over 2.4 MILLION hours across their library of 9,490 games. That's an average of 250-something hours per game.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
2.4 million hours is impossible (that's over 200 years off the top of my head). How are these numbers generated?

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
2.4 million hours is impossible (that's over 200 years off the top of my head). How are these numbers generated?
Tools like Steam Achievement Manager (SAM) can allow you to "play" multiple games at once, which can be used to get Steam Trading Cards or playtime related achievements, or I guess just run up stupidly big playtimes for those that way inclined.

Next week for example, I could easily clock 40 to 50 hours on Starfield (week off work!), and use SAM to gather the trading cards for whatever Humble Choice games I get on Tuesday. That means I could potentially have 8 or 9 games "running" at once. I could easily have 200+ hours of playtime on Steam over the 7 days when there's only 168 hours in a week!

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Tools like Steam Achievement Manager (SAM) can allow you to "play" multiple games at once, which can be used to get Steam Trading Cards or playtime related achievements, or I guess just run up stupidly big playtimes for those that way inclined.

Next week for example, I could easily clock 40 to 50 hours on Starfield (week off work!), and use SAM to gather the trading cards for whatever Humble Choice games I get on Tuesday. That means I could potentially have 8 or 9 games "running" at once. I could easily have 200+ hours of playtime on Steam over the 7 days when there's only 168 hours in a week!

Wait..... what?? I've no idea what that is :ROFLMAO:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
You can sell the trading cards on the market for actual real money too, I've bought a couple games over the years entirely funded with the free trading cards
I always sell my trading cards for about 7p each. Doesn't sound like a lot but if you're gaming regularly it soon adds up

Steveyg

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I always sell my trading cards for about 7p each. Doesn't sound like a lot but if you're gaming regularly it soon adds up
Some smaller indy games I've had cards sell for upwards of 90p, think one game I sold 5 cards for over a fiver

Seems the more popular the game the less they sell for in my very limited experience

Then you get the packs every now and then and you can get a couple £ for those. Sold a Steam profile page wallpaper for like £9 once as well

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
I got a Civ 5 foil card from a booster pack and sold it for £2.20-odd back when Civ 5 was the must-play strategy game. I got 85% of that after Steam/publisher fees, so was quite happy with the £1.90 or whatever it was. A few of those cards were listed for 3 or 4 quid but just were not selling quickly at all. I took the easy money and let the buyer chase their profit from a card I got for free.

My large Steam library has made getting booster packs fairly easy. That has allowed me to complete badges to boost my Steam level which increases my chances of future booster packs. Not quite a virtuous circle as the booster packs are random, but selling the odd foil card from booster packs funds future card purchases - won't pay more than 5p for a card, and only if it's the last card I need to complete a badge.

HomerJ

Prolific Poster
according to that site has a touch over 2.4 MILLION hours across their library of 9,490 games. That's an average of 250-something hours per game.

yeah but no life though :ROFLMAO:

To be fair, you're probably second on the Springfield list behind Comic Book Guy!

"Whooo, im number two, im number two, in your face flanders"

Wait..... what?? I've no idea what that is

i always think of denz as gaming god yoda sitting in front of a gaming rig

"play games I must, winning i am"

Last edited: