How to deal with dust in a laptop?

Zanagi

Heya,

Just received my Vortex II laptop from pcs and I'm wondering whats recommended for dealing with dust collecting on the fan and heatsink.

Is it something that I actually have to worry about affecting the performance and longevity of my laptop? If so, how often should I clean, and whats the best way of going about it? I've heard compressed air can be used, but I've also heard that using it can potentially damage the fan. Please save me from my ignorance! D:

AndyL

Compressed air is the easiest option, just make sure you stick something in the fan whilst you use the compressed air to make sure that the fan doesnt spin.

cb1173

Silver Level Poster
I always use compressed air and it works fine, just dont shake the can and give it a quick spray away from the laptop incase any moisture comes out.

Duddy1985

Bronze Level Poster
How often do you guys clean the heat sinks on your laptops? is there a way to clean it without compressed air?

Thanks

AndyL

How often do you guys clean the heat sinks on your laptops? is there a way to clean it without compressed air?

Thanks

IF you are confident enough and know what you are doing then you can dismantle the laptop and clean it by hand. I would recommend cleaning out the fans every 6 months.

jayhar

It depends on your usage and environment tbh. For myself I use it for gaming and uni work so it's used a lot and I have 2 dogs that love to malt. I work towards cleaning it every 3 months. It's all circumstantial; try cleaning after 3 months, if there was nothing really there then you can afford to leave it longer, if you cleaned out a fair bit then you should stick to 3 months!