How to Disable HT on Optimus 15 X

hello there,

Does anybody got some idea how to disable HT without bios parameter?

XTU and controlcenter don't have any feature for it and i don't need it, so i'll reduce heat and windows difficulty to assign tasks to "real" cores

thank you by advance

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
hello there,

Does anybody got some idea how to disable HT without bios parameter?

XTU and controlcenter don't have any feature for it and i don't need it, so i'll reduce heat and windows difficulty to assign tasks to "real" cores

thank you by advance
What are your full specs? HT is a motherboard feature but I don’t think any of the laptop BIOS allow for disabling HT, why would they, you’d just buy a non HT chips of you didn’t want it?

Optimus X 15
i7-9750h
4+8GB DDR4-2133
GTX 1650 4GB
970 Evo + 250GB

in facts, many of my previous laptop did got that kind of options in bios (HP, ACER, MSI Core gen 2 to gen 6)

I simply wanted to disable it as there was no options to buy another CPU on the optimus X configurator ^^". So no i5 with GTX 1650

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Optimus X 15
i7-9750h
4+8GB DDR4-2133
GTX 1650 4GB
970 Evo + 250GB

in facts, many of my previous laptop did got that kind of options in bios (HP, ACER, MSI Core gen 2 to gen 6)

I simply wanted to disable it as there was no options to buy another CPU on the optimus X configurator ^^". So no i5 with GTX 1650
I don't believe there are any options on the Optimus, you can check yourself in the BIOS, but I dont' believe there are. It's a budget gaming chassis, so it's quite cut down.

There is no option, i confirm, and that is where i wanted to go, is there any other way to do?

The laptop runs particularly hot considering the cut down cooling compared to the 1660/2060 variants, so disabling it would have enhanced performance on less threaded apps and reduced heat at the same time without needing to undervolt/underclock

I did managed to get really decent cooling by underclocking to 3.8GHz and undervolting to -135mv, but on some games i'm held down by the constant hability of window to assign heavy tasks on "HT core" when the "official core" is already heavily charged by another task.

I can acccept the unability to do it, and i'll keep my Undervolt/Underclock, but i'll suggest to add to the line-up and i5 variant, as, if available, i thought many potential GTX 1650 buyers would have taken it instead of a big i7 for better cooling

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
There is no option, i confirm, and that is where i wanted to go, is there any other way to do?

The laptop runs particularly hot considering the cut down cooling compared to the 1660/2060 variants, so disabling it would have enhanced performance on less threaded apps and reduced heat at the same time without needing to undervolt/underclock

I did managed to get really decent cooling by underclocking to 3.8GHz and undervolting to -135mv, but on some games i'm held down by the constant hability of window to assign heavy tasks on "HT core" when the "official core" is already heavily charged by another task.

I can acccept the unability to do it, and i'll keep my Undervolt/Underclock, but i'll suggest to add to the line-up and i5 variant, as, if available, i thought many potential GTX 1650 buyers would have taken it instead of a big i7 for better cooling
No, there's no other way to do it outside of the BIOS.

If you're facing high temps, you need to address those before applying an undervolt etc which won't resolve the underlying issues.

What are your temps? That chassis should run absolutely fine on an i7 without needing an undervolt to remain at normal temps.

normal temps are 86/89°c on load (simple Firestrike run) and thermal throttling occures even at boot (first thing happening with hwinfo64 at launch)

CPU frequency goes down to 3GHz under load, and GPU pikes to 1905 to immediatly and definitly keep under 1590MHz (25°c ambient)

with undervolt, nothing passes 85°c on the CPU ([email protected]) and GPU got an undervolt too 1695MHz@775mv wich keep performances stable and the system cooler (30.5°c ambient temp, after applying it for the first time)

i'll test BFV at default settings and getting back to you for a more "realistic" use case

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
i'm held down by the constant hability of window to assign heavy tasks on "HT core" when the "official core" is already heavily charged by another task.
?

If Windows is loading up a lot of cores and threads, that could be a sign that the i7 with its 6C/12T vs the i5 with its 4C/8T has got its uses for you...

?

If Windows is loading up a lot of cores and threads, that could be a sign that the i7 with its 6C/12T vs the i5 with its 4C/8T has got its uses for you...

My bad, i thought that i5 6/6 doesn't exists only on desktops. Maybe one day ...

after some tests, here is more realistics results on BFV:

@stock: honest temps but lot of throttling on both CPU (going down to 3GHz) and GPU (going down to 1590) (orange curve on xtu screen shot)

with undervolt/underclock: temps are close, but a bit lower than previous test and always at 3.8GHz/1680 even when thermal throttle flag is on:

edit: For HT, i think i'll use Thread affinity to assign threads to "real core" only on app that really needed it:

this way, no need to have an option in BIOS et no need to disable something that can be usefull to other tasks

Last edited: