How to disable right swipe for charms bar? Windows 8 hatred!

andbro

Hi,

I keep accidentally activating the charms bar on the right hand side by swiping from right to left and it's driving me mental! I've looked online and you are meant to be able to disable it via. Control Panel > Mouse > Settings etc. but in my Synaptics driver settings (v17.0.9.1) under "Application Gestures" it only gives the option to turn off Three finger press and Three finger flick - any ideas? I also read about changing the registry which I tried and didn't seem to work.

Any help much appreciated!

I also tried to update to the latest drivers from the Synaptics website but the installation failed....

Thanks

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I don't believe the mouse driver can disable the Win8 charms bar. One tool that can is Start8 from http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/, it's not free but at $4.99 (US Dollars) it might as well be. It gives you the familiar WIn7 start menu back whilst still allowing access to the Win8 modern UI if you want it, but it also allows you to disable some or all of the Win8 hot corners and/or charms bar.

Highly recommended. :)

Tom DWC

Start8 is a great app as ubuysa has said.

There's also Classic Shell which is completely free and should let you do the same thing, but the start menu doesn't look quite as nice, the Start8 one matches the Windows 8 UI. :)

andbro

Thanks for the replies, I have Classic Shell and have disabled the charms bar activation from the corners but it still appears when I swipe in from the right hand side by accident all the time! Any help much appreciated!

selbster

Bronze Level Poster
instead of going to mouse and touchpad. go to edges and corners. This will allow you to disable it if you disable both options under app switching.

andbro

Thanks for your suggestions but I think maybe I have an older version of the drivers because I don't' have the option? I've tried to download the latest ones from the Synaptics website but it fails to install... This is what my options are: touchpad.png

selbster

Bronze Level Poster
you dont use the synaptics drivers. i have a vortex 4 as well. you have to do it through metro. settings on the metro bar of right hand charm > change pc settings > pcs and devices > corners and edges > then off on both selections of app switching.

andbro

Thanks for your suggestion, I've tried turning everything off but when I swipe in from the right hand side I still accidentally activate the charms bar all the time, this is what my settings look like:

edges.png

Thanks

selbster

Bronze Level Poster
ha sorry, my bad, ive completely misinterpreted this, I thought you meant from left to right ha, sorry about that. although swiping to metro is irritating as hell imo.

Davecrm

If like me your Synaptics Touchpad V7.5 on PS2 port pointing device settings doesn’t have an Enable Edge Swipe option and you have tried the various reg edits and removal programs try downloading this older driver (16.3.15.1) from Synaptics Resources
http://drivers.synaptics.com/Synapt...7-32_XP64_Vista64_Win7-64_Signed_Acme_Inc.zip
Run setup.exe after uninstalling your current driver, mine was V17.0.6.13 Restart laptop. Settings now displays an “Enable Edge Swipe ” box. Untick this, it a compromise though as it kills swipes from top left but not bottom right. At least I can select favourites in Chrome without the slightly annoying Charms. Acer E1-572 with W8.1.