How to force Nvidia GPU on?

darbyjack

Bronze Level Poster
I tried in Nvidia control panel to set it on globally and specifically for the program I am using (LightZone - an image editing software) but doesn't seem to work. Confirmed by opening GPU-z and seeing clock frequency at 0mhz and no temp readings.

It works fine for games, but was just wondering how I use it for other applications etc.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
The method you tried should work. Something which may be affecting it is the power mode. Make sure this is set to performance rather than balanced or power saver. You can find this in the Windows control panel.

darbyjack

Bronze Level Poster
It is on high performance mode. I am not sure what control center is, sorry. Could you elaborate? Thanks

It is on high performance mode. I am not sure what control center is, sorry. Could you elaborate? Thanks

oh yes
It is a optional drive for CLEVO series laptops, I think most of PC spec laptops are from clevo
You can download it from CLEVO itself or form PC spec; and even sager, xmg or other companies use clevo chasis.It is universal software.

From PC spec:
First,sign in your account in PC spec website(not forums) and find "download" in "tech support" at the left side of the screen.
Second, choose your order number and then "windows 10", your will find a item like "06_ControlCenter_W10.zip"
That's it

I'm not sure if win8.1 or win7 can use this software

By the way, if you use the defiance series laptop, the LED at the end of left side shows the status of dedicated GPU

Last edited:

Manta

Well, if the application isn't hardware accelerated or if it's missing Cuda support it wont use gpu. You can try to force it, but i think it wont make a difference.

darbyjack

Bronze Level Poster
oh yes
It is a optional drive for CLEVO series laptops, I think most of PC spec laptops are from clevo
You can download it from CLEVO itself or form PC spec; and even sager, xmg or other companies use clevo chasis.It is universal software.

From PC spec:
First,sign in your account in PC spec website(not forums) and find "download" in "tech support" at the left side of the screen.
Second, choose your order number and then "windows 10", your will find a item like "06_ControlCenter_W10.zip"
That's it

I'm not sure if win8.1 or win7 can use this software

By the way, if you use the defiance series laptop, the LED at the end of left side shows the status of dedicated GPU

Probably this. I called PCS tech support and they sorted out the drivers for Nvidia and Intel, I can now actually get a thermometer reading and mhz reading etc from GPU when utilised. It just simply won't work with many desktop applications it seems which is surprising.