How to get fast ethernet speeds over wifi

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
This is well worth a watch, this is for someone who can't lay ethernet around their home and wants top tier speeds available over fast fibre internet connection.

It would be a little picky to setup, but is a very interesting proposal to maintain optimal speeds over wifi.

Of course, you would gain latency over any wifi solution, but these days with a decent mesh setup, that's minimised to a certain extent.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Interesting stuff.

Must admit though, the only coax I have in my house is from the cable coming in :LOL: I did have an antennae supplying 2 rooms in my house but it wouldn't cover all the living spaces that I would want internet in.

I would have just as much hassle routing the coax as I would routing the ethernet. In fact, ethernet would still be far better as I would need a power point for each of those little devices as well.

It's definitely something I plan on doing though. My house has brick walls even with a high end mesh network, I don't get the best coverage.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Interesting stuff.

Must admit though, the only coax I have in my house is from the cable coming in :LOL: I did have an antennae supplying 2 rooms in my house but it wouldn't cover all the living spaces that I would want internet in.

I would have just as much hassle routing the coax as I would routing the ethernet. In fact, ethernet would still be far better as I would need a power point for each of those little devices as well.

It's definitely something I plan on doing though. My house has brick walls even with a high end mesh network, I don't get the best coverage.
I'm happy with good wifi performance, and the place I'm planning on getting isn't going to be large, a 2 bed bungalow will do me really nicely. And I don't do online gaming, so I'd be fine with a good Mesh Wifi setup.

The only requirement I have for fast upload (currently) is the plex server which can cable directly into the router, the rest of the house I'm ok on wifi. But all things change, and the option of installing 2.5Gb LAN around the place may still become necessary down the road, so it's always good to leave your options open.

It's really nice to see a "capable" powerline solution though.

Ubiquiti are the ones to watch out for, they really are doing some groundbreaking stuff. I reckon they'll bring out a top tier powerline solution within a few years, it's the one area they don't currently cover.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
If you go for old-school you might find yourself in the same situation as myself.

I can walk from my livingroom to my hall and see my signal drop from full to 1 bar. The walls are solid construction and effectively nothing penetrates them. I have 2 XT8 mesh routers within 30ft of each other and they barely get a signal to stay connected to each other for the wireless link.

At some point, I'm going to run an ethernet cable under the floor to connect them (already have done that with the one in the loft). It's just bonkers how many hoops I'm having to jump through to get wifi throughout my house.

I have 3 XT8 routers on maximum power mode and 3 powerline adapters with a powerline bridge also in play. I had to remove them from the same network though as they go a bit wonky at times. Now my XT8 Wifi is on the money, with the powerline Wifi going weird every now and then (microwaves etc).

To give myself a good solid mesh I think I would need a further 3 XT8 routers. 6 mesh routers in a house is bonkers, but it's all due to the brick construction.