how to record old consoles?

DanteWilhelm

Bright Spark
not pc gaming related but gaming related and the footage will be on my pc so... :p

OK So I need to know how to record my sega megadrive, filming from the TV screen really isn't preferable. Nor is using a microphone to record the game audio either.

Im trying to do some reviews but the audio was just so bad, the video quality was bad too.

Do I need a PCI tv tuner and then can I use the switchbox thing to send the video back? because as far as im aware those boxes for megadrive and dreamcasts have you switch between TV and the console so it's not 2 continuous streams, it only sends one way. But I'm not 100% sure of that one.

So, any help would be appreciated! i would also like to be able to record my other consoles which would involve splitting the signal from RCA cables, I know how to do that.

So perhaps a TV tuner with aerial AND RCA (yellow, red white) cables

thanks

Buzz

Master
You could maybe get something like the Dazzle Dvd recorder.

Hardware Specifications
Video inputs: Composite video (RCA), S-Video (mini-DIN)
Audio inputs: Stereo audio (RCA x2)
PC connection: Hi-Speed USB 2.0

Software Specifications
Capture from any video source with composite (RCA) or S-Video output

Output Format
AVCHD*, DVD (DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+Ror DVD+RW, dual layer), S-VCD, Video CD (VCD)
Apple® iPod® , Sony® PSP/PS3, Nintendo® Wii, Microsoft® Xbox compatible formats*
DV, HDV, AVI, DivX*, RealVideo® 8, WMV, MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4*, Flash, 3GP*, WAV, MP3*, QuickTime® (SD format) files
Dolby® Digital 2 channel audio

DanteWilhelm

Bright Spark
You could maybe get something like the Dazzle Dvd recorder.

Hardware Specifications
Video inputs: Composite video (RCA), S-Video (mini-DIN)
Audio inputs: Stereo audio (RCA x2)
PC connection: Hi-Speed USB 2.0

Software Specifications
Capture from any video source with composite (RCA) or S-Video output

Output Format
AVCHD*, DVD (DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+Ror DVD+RW, dual layer), S-VCD, Video CD (VCD)
Apple® iPod® , Sony® PSP/PS3, Nintendo® Wii, Microsoft® Xbox compatible formats*
DV, HDV, AVI, DivX*, RealVideo® 8, WMV, MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4*, Flash, 3GP*, WAV, MP3*, QuickTime® (SD format) files
Dolby® Digital 2 channel audio

But how would I record megadrive with that? I need to split a signal going in on an aerial lead.

DanteWilhelm

Bright Spark
I know this may sound like a cheat but ever considered emulators and Fraps? :D

I used to use emaluators, I had 1000s of games. Now I collect and have about 800 games.

using a keyboard, no way.there is nothing better than using the controllers, there is no nostalgia using a keyboard to play a retro game.

EDIT: could I just use this and plug the megadrives aerial lead straight into it?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/JSG-Accesso...corder/dp/B007RBL6FI/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Last edited:

DanteWilhelm

Bright Spark
I'm not going to play on anything but the original software/hardware

I am a big time game collector and to have all these megadrive games and to not play them but to film and review them?! is a sin!

Thanks anyway though I appreciate that you're just trying to help :)

But can you answer my question? Can I use this to record megadrive? http://www.amazon.co.uk/JSG-Accesso...corder/dp/B007RBL6FI/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

I could plug it into the computer then just plug the megadrive AV straight into it right? So in the same way that it would be searching for a signal from my aerial to find TV channels it would instead be tuning into the megadrive directly from the aerial, at least I hope.

just dont want to go wasting money on anything.

DanteWilhelm

Bright Spark
one of these may be what your looking for, I dont have a clue what video cables old consoles use, I began my gaming journey at PS1 which was red white and yellow AV cable, which is supported on this device

DISCLAIMER: I cannot guarantee that this supports your device and I cannot guarantee the quality of video recorded

http://www.maplin.co.uk/gaming-capt...m_campaign=A49LC&utm_content=PCTV+/+Gamer+Box

meadrive uses an aerial connection, no RCA phonos until PS1, like you said. I'll get something like that to record PS1 footage as well

but I think for megadrive and anything which you have to tuneinto the TV via aerial needs a TV tune im just not not 100% sure

steaky360

Is something like this what you are looking for?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Coax-Cable-TV-USB-Adapter-MPEG-Digital-Video-Recorder-/310364796366

If there is one on eBay US there will definitely be a one somewhere in the UK.

EDIT: Sorry didn't click the link in your post above

I used to use emaluators, I had 1000s of games. Now I collect and have about 800 games.

using a keyboard, no way.there is nothing better than using the controllers, there is no nostalgia using a keyboard to play a retro game.

EDIT: could I just use this and plug the megadrives aerial lead straight into it?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/JSG-Accesso...corder/dp/B007RBL6FI/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

This could work? Seems as if you should be able to plug that into the SCART on your TV, hook up the megadrive etc and plug that box into your laptop/pc to record.

Last edited:

DanteWilhelm

Bright Spark
Is something like this what you are looking for?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Coax-Cable-TV-USB-Adapter-MPEG-Digital-Video-Recorder-/310364796366

If there is one on eBay US there will definitely be a one somewhere in the UK.

EDIT: Sorry didn't click the link in your post above

This could work? Seems as if you should be able to plug that into the SCART on your TV, hook up the megadrive etc and plug that box into your laptop/pc to record.

im kind of sure it could, even more so now that you've responded, thanks!

even if I'm sure on something I need to ask, as I'm sure we all have I spent way too much money on the wrong thing, dam technology xD

steaky360

im kind of sure it could, even more so now that you've responded, thanks!

even if I'm sure on something I need to ask, as I'm sure we all have I spent way too much money on the wrong thing, dam technology xD

Is it not worth asking the seller (JSG Accessories) through Amazon I mean? They might not even know for sure, but at least you can explain what you're trying to do and they may accept a return if it doesn't work.

Hope it does though! Good luck!

DanteWilhelm

Bright Spark
Is it not worth asking the seller (JSG Accessories) through Amazon I mean? They might not even know for sure, but at least you can explain what you're trying to do and they may accept a return if it doesn't work.

Hope it does though! Good luck!

thats a good idea, I may order it from Ebay as it's cheaper on there lol. They even have diagrams on the item page :)