How to remove and replace an internal hard drive

doudou740

Hello

I have had a hard drive failure in my tower gaming PC. I am needing to remove and replace the hard drive. It should be a fairly simple process but I have encountered a problem.

My gaming tower has hard drives with tool-less drive bay connectors as per this image:

drivebay.jpg

I thought the whole point of these tool-less drive bays was that they were easy to fit and remove but I cannot for the life of me get the darn drive to budge! Does anybody have any clever tricks on how to get the faulty drive out so i can fit a new one?

Thanks.

Attachments

• drivebay50.jpg
    drivebay50.jpg
    219.4 KB · Views: 241

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
Don't know if it'll work for you but in the past I've used tablespoons to help lever the edges of the connectors slightly.

Hard to tell from your image but just make sure there aren't any extra screws put in somewhere.

Also strap yourself down to earth.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
The 2 tabs are probably locked. I know it's counter intuitive but push the lock tabs into the PC, squeeze them in towards each other and THEN pull the drive out.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
The 2 tabs are probably locked. I know it's counter intuitive but push the lock tabs into the PC, squeeze them in towards each other and THEN pull the drive out.
This.

Also if the drives are still plugged in the cables may be taut. Looks like the sata data cable is till plugged into the bottom one from the photos.

If you can take the other side panel off the case (assuming you haven't already) it may give you better visibility around there.