How to wipe Windows? How to get into BIOS?

qqdc

New Octane V laptop, bought with no OS.

But it comes pre-installed with cursed Windows. I've got Linux Mint 19 on a USB stick, plugged in, but each time I restart the computer, Windows setup always starts.

I've so far guessed Esc, F1, F9, F10, Del as the key to try and get into the bios.

The fact that the latest Window install defaults on speaking to you, in a loud voice, just makes PC Specalist's decision to not bother wiping the disk even more irritating.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
New Octane V laptop, bought with no OS.

But it comes pre-installed with cursed Windows. I've got Linux Mint 19 on a USB stick, plugged in, but each time I restart the computer, Windows setup always starts.

I've so far guessed Esc, F1, F9, F10, Del as the key to try and get into the bios.

The fact that the latest Window install defaults on speaking to you, in a loud voice, just makes PC Specalist's decision to not bother wiping the disk even more irritating.

You just have to boot gparted or something and delete the existing partitions.

To get the BIOS maybe F2 or F12 or access it from advanced startup options in windows:

https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/access-bios-windows-10

qqdc

Thanks! I tried again, hammering F2 and F12, and got in! I believe the key is F2, as it got mentioned later in the process.

I then disabled all the boot options except "UEFI SCSI", saved and restarted. And it booted from the USB stick :)

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Thanks! I tried again, hammering F2 and F12, and got in! I believe the key is F2, as it got mentioned later in the process.

I then disabled all the boot options except "UEFI SCSI", saved and restarted. And it booted from the USB stick :)

Awesome! Because of fast boot in windows 10, it’s a bit troublesome to access the bios. Glad you got in though!

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
Awesome! Because of fast boot in windows 10, it’s a bit troublesome to access the bios. Glad you got in though!

You can actually reboot into UEFI from within Windows 10

1. Click the Start menu and select Settings.
2. Select Update and Security.
3. Click Recovery.
4. Under Advanced startup, click Restart now.

On reboot:

5. Select Troubleshoot.
6. Choose Advanced options.
7. Select UEFI Firmware Settings.
8. Click Restart

Last edited:

Stephen M

Author Level
Thanks Tony, useful info.
F2 is the key to get to the Octane BIOS, I think F2 will work on all Clever chassis, it has been on my five PCS machines.

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
Thanks Tony, useful info.
F2 is the key to get to the Octane BIOS, I think F2 will work on all Clever chassis, it has been on my five PCS machines.

Yeah but I've noticed on my Defiance II you still miss it sometimes even when you mash the key with all the grace of a mechanical digger.