Howdy

Punchuk

Thought I'd say hi, just ordered an awesome laptop (last night so long wait til it arrives) been gamer since the old speccy days but still no athritis! being an old guy still cant get my hands on a console controller and shoot anything! Can't beat the old mouse and keyboard layout.

Currently playing Planetside 2 but looking to buy the Beta of Elite Dangerous (game from my youth on the BBC B!) looking forward to that.

Laptop config:
Chassis & Display
Vortex Series: 17.3" Matte Full HD LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-4700MQ (2.40GHz) 6MB
Memory (RAM)
16GB KINGSTON HYPER-X GENESIS 1600MHz SODIMM DDR3 (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 780M - 4.0GB DDR5 Video RAM - DirectX® 11
Memory - Hard Disk
120GB KINGSTON HYPERX 3K SSD, SATA 6 Gb/s (upto 555MB/sR | 510MB/sW)
2nd Hard Disk
750GB WD SCORPIO BLACK WD7500BPKX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 16MB CACHE (7200 rpm)
DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
6x BLURAY ROM, 8x DVD ±R/±RW & CYBERLINK SOFTWARE
Thermal Paste
STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Sound Card
Intel 5.1 Channel High Definition Audio + SPDIF/MIC/Headphone Jack
Bluetooth & Wireless
GIGABIT LAN & KILLER™ 1202 WIRELESS GAMING 802.11N + BLUETOOTH 4.0

keynes

Multiverse Poster
That's a nice spec :) you may want to consider upgrading the thermal paste. 8gb ram should also be plenty for gaming.

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
Well that rig is going to play whatever you like so you should enjoy it.

One point, consider amending the order to add the upgraded thermal compound,also you could downgrade the RAM to 8GB as that will be perfectly adequate for gaming.

Punchuk

Will call tomorrow but because it is one of the review rigs, save's about £150 off the configure it yourself option for exactly the same kit. I'm not sure they will update the paste but will call and ask, seems kinda strange thats not standard really!

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
It's not a huge job to upgrade the paste, I know many people have said they will ask but I have yet to find out if anyone has been successful. let us know how you get on, I cant see it being a problem though.

Punchuk

Me neither but I expect to get it's a change to the config and it states etc etc. will let you know on night shift so will call them later tomorrow afternoon

steaky360

As far as I know once you've made your order you can make minor amendments without affecting the 'discount' ie adding warranty and stuff, not sure about thermal paste! Please let us know how you get on (either way!).

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
I doubt that they would allow the thermal paste to be changed as it requires the whole back of the laptop and cooling system to be removed, where as the RAM can be easily changed and I'm sure they would probably allow that.

steaky360

I doubt that they would allow the thermal paste to be changed as it requires the whole back of the laptop and cooling system to be removed, where as the RAM can be easily changed and I'm sure they would probably allow that.

Good point, didn't realise these were pre-built laptops. Just thought they were 'preconfigured' and they were still built to order.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Hi Punchuck and welcome.

Old guy huh? Hmm, how old is old I wonder, there are some pretty old fellas on here - including me. :wheelchair:

Looks like you're getting good advice already! :)