Huge system files on SSD drives

Karnor00

Bright Spark
I'm posting this in case there are any people like me who found themselves wondering what is taking up so much space on their new SSD and what can be done about it. It doesn't just apply to SSDs, but these tend to be smaller than regular HDDs so space is at more of a premium.

My computer (which I got a couple of weeks ago) has a 240GB SSD. After using it for a couple of days I noticed that 80GB had already been used. Looking at the folders I found c.20GB in windows and system files and another 10GB or so in files I had installed/copied over. Which left a further 50GB having mysteriously gone missing.

After hunting around for a while, I eventually worked out that this space was taken up by two huge hidden, system files stored in the C root directory called pagefile.sys (c.30GB) and hiberfil.sys (c.20GB) (the sizes may be different on your system). So naturally I wondered what these huge files were doing for me and whether I really needed them.

Virtual memory

The first file, pagefile.sys relates to virtual memory. Basically if your system runs out of RAM, it uses the HDD to provide extra memory (obviously this is much slower than RAM).

How useful this is depends on how you use your computer. If you have a huge number of things open at once, or a small amount of RAM (less than 4GB) then this could be useful. If not then you could easily get rid of it, shrink it and/or move it to a bigger storage HDD (will be slower, but hopefully you won't be needing it much anyway).

You can find information on how to do change your virtual memory settings (the size of the file and where it is stored) at http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows-vista/Change-the-size-of-virtual-memory

Personally I decided to adopt a conservative approach, and shrunk the file a bit while moving it to my much larger storage HDD (2 TB) where the space taken up is much less of an issue.

System Hibernation

The second file, hiberfil.sys, is used to allow your system to hibernate. Hibernation is basically putting your PC into a very low power mode but from where it can restart very quickly and keep all your programs open.

This is clearly very useful for a laptop but most people will find it much less useful for a desktop. Personally I've never used this feature, and certainly didn't want to waste 20GB of SDD space on it. Obviously if you find the hibernate feature very useful, then don't disable it.

You can find information on how to disable/enable this feature here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/920730

Google Chrome

One other thing you may find taking up a significant amount of space on your SSD is, if you are using the Google Chrome web browser, its cache file. And unfortunately Google Chrome doesn't provide an easy option to change the size and/or location of this cache file.

It can be moved, but its a little more complicated - you will need to set some command line switches when you start the browser, and edit the registry so that opening new windows also uses the new location.

You can google for "google chrome cache move location" to get some information on how to move it. The best guide I found was at http://www.simplehelp.net/2010/11/16/how-to-change-the-google-chrome-cache-location/

Buzz

Master
I'm posting this in case there are any people like me who found themselves wondering what is taking up so much space on their new SSD and what can be done about it. It doesn't just apply to SSDs, but these tend to be smaller than regular HDDs so space is at more of a premium.

My computer (which I got a couple of weeks ago) has a 240GB SSD. After using it for a couple of days I noticed that 80GB had already been used. Looking at the folders I found c.20GB in windows and system files and another 10GB or so in files I had installed/copied over. Which left a further 50GB having mysteriously gone missing.

After hunting around for a while, I eventually worked out that this space was taken up by two huge hidden, system files stored in the C root directory called pagefile.sys (c.30GB) and hiberfil.sys (c.20GB) (the sizes may be different on your system). So naturally I wondered what these huge files were doing for me and whether I really needed them.

Virtual memory

The first file, pagefile.sys relates to virtual memory. Basically if your system runs out of RAM, it uses the HDD to provide extra memory (obviously this is much slower than RAM).

How useful this is depends on how you use your computer. If you have a huge number of things open at once, or a small amount of RAM (less than 4GB) then this could be useful. If not then you could easily get rid of it, shrink it and/or move it to a bigger storage HDD (will be slower, but hopefully you won't be needing it much anyway).

You can find information on how to do change your virtual memory settings (the size of the file and where it is stored) at http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows-vista/Change-the-size-of-virtual-memory

Personally I decided to adopt a conservative approach, and shrunk the file a bit while moving it to my much larger storage HDD (2 TB) where the space taken up is much less of an issue.

System Hibernation

The second file, hiberfil.sys, is used to allow your system to hibernate. Hibernation is basically putting your PC into a very low power mode but from where it can restart very quickly and keep all your programs open.

This is clearly very useful for a laptop but most people will find it much less useful for a desktop. Personally I've never used this feature, and certainly didn't want to waste 20GB of SDD space on it. Obviously if you find the hibernate feature very useful, then don't disable it.

You can find information on how to disable/enable this feature here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/920730

Google Chrome

One other thing you may find taking up a significant amount of space on your SSD is, if you are using the Google Chrome web browser, its cache file. And unfortunately Google Chrome doesn't provide an easy option to change the size and/or location of this cache file.

It can be moved, but its a little more complicated - you will need to set some command line switches when you start the browser, and edit the registry so that opening new windows also uses the new location.

You can google for "google chrome cache move location" to get some information on how to move it. The best guide I found was at http://www.simplehelp.net/2010/11/16/how-to-change-the-google-chrome-cache-location/

Getting rid of the pagefile is not recommended. No need or benefit from disabling it. If anything, you'll hinder some things in the OS. Remember, Windows will swap unused data to the swap file freeing up real RAM for other uses. Even parts of itself (mainly the kernel.)

So disabling it is actually counter productive. Disabling it may result in 'out of memory' errors despite how much physical memory is present.
Moving it tho to another HDD would be fine but will have slower results. (Not an external)

The idea of the SSD is to have the pagefile there which is how lot of the SSD drive gives you the speed. If you move it to a slower HDD then you wont be getting the best out of having an SSD drive in the first place.

Also the google issue, if you use Google Chrome Plus you have way more advanced settings and mouse gestures etc. Been using it year or so now and I Love it.
http://chromeplus.en.softonic.com/

Last edited:

Karnor00

Bright Spark
By default Windows sets the minimum pagefile to equal the size of your RAM. Personally I have 32GB of RAM, which means that by default Windows 7 allocates a minimum 32GB pagefile. This makes very little sense - Windows has decided that because I have lots of RAM, I must need the capacity for even more lots. A much more sensible strategy would be for Windows to have a bigger pagefile for people with less RAM - they are most likely to be needing it after all.

It really depends how much memory you have and how you are using your computer. With a typical new system these days having 8GB of RAM, most people are unlikely to ever get through this much unless they have a huge number of different programs open at the same time. And if this does happen, then the computer will slow to a crawl anyway once it needs to start using the pagefile.

And for me there is a clear benefit to shrinking, moving or eliminating it : it is no longer taking up 1/8th of my valuable SDD space! Plus I've also read that SDD's have a limited number of times that they can write/rewrite before they start to degrade, and if I were actually using the pagefile then this would trigger a lot of write/rewrites so there's another benefit to not having the pagefile on the SDD any more.

I have read that there are a few old programs which expect a pagefile to exist which is why I didn't remove it entirely. I shrunk it to 4GB and moved it to my 2TB drive where I really don't care about losing 4GB. However I've also read of people removing it entirely and not experiencing any problems.