I accidentally broke the plastic L on my HDD off!

XboxMod

Today i was connecting up a fan that had come lose and disconnected, so while i was in my cases sorting out the cables, i moved my hand and hit the SATA cable out of the hard drive. Here's my problem; I have lost the plastic L shaped piece that keeps the contact between SATA cable and the HDD and i can't find it. Does this void my warranty, and if it does can anyone tell me a free or cheap way to fix it.

Rakk

The Awesome
Does this void my warranty, and if it does can anyone tell me a free or cheap way to fix it.

I highly suspect the warranty on the HDD has now been voided, since you accidentally broke it.
You might find something by Googling the problem (I'm supposed to be doing work at the moment, so can't really look for a solution), but I don't know whether it can be fixed or not, can you now not plug in the HDD at all?

XboxMod

no if i try to plug in the HDD it will just not stay in place at all, because the plastic piece was the piece that kept the sata connector in place.

steaky360

I cant speak for the warranty, although it may void the warranty on that item as it has broken due to error. Definitely worth getting in touch with PCS about it though as only they can give you a definitive answer - they may be able to repair it for you / send it away to be repaired.

However you could try the following http://clifgriffin.com/2009/03/19/fixing-a-broken-hard-drive-sata-connector-an-unlikely-tale-of-success/

I will stress though that it looks as though doing that will DEFINITELY void your warranty and its best not to do that if at all possible.

Hope you get it sorted!