I can not choose internal hd in the construction of the laptop?

mlz

There isn’t option for internal hd in the construction of the laptop, only m2 SSD appears as a storage option. Just me having this problem?

mlz

A lot of newer laptops only take M2 drives.

Hello, thank you for support. Do you know why? Because that same model of laptop had an internal hd option a few months ago. I cannot see any acceptable reason to remove this option, all other big companies work with internal HD on their new laptop models.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hello, thank you for support. Do you know why? Because that same model of laptop had an internal hd option a few months ago. I cannot see any acceptable reason to remove this option, all other big companies work with internal HD on their new laptop models.
Most new laptops are so thin they don’t have space for an HDD, and they only take m2’s. It’s just modernisation, the same way they phased out cd drives.

mlz

Most new laptops are so thin they don’t have space for an HDD, and they only take m2’s. It’s just modernisation, the same way they phased out cd drives.

the difference in values between the two storage systems is huge to remove the hd so drastically. forces the consumer to spend 200 to 300 more buckets to have a good amount of storage. it still doesn't make sense to me since other brands use hd in their new laptops but its fine. thank you for attention

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
the difference in values between the two storage systems is huge to remove the hd so drastically. forces the consumer to spend 200 to 300 more buckets to have a good amount of storage. it still doesn't make sense to me since other brands use hd in their new laptops but its fine. thank you for attention
There’s no current performance gaming laptops that have space for HDD, they all use m2 drives, it’s standard these days.

You will find it's the same on Dell XPS, Razer, HP, any of the mainstream manufacturers.

Last edited:

mlz

All new Alienware laptops "gamers" models, msi, rog, have internal hard drives and as I said the Defiance VII model had HD SATA as a storage option a few months ago.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
All new Alienware laptops "gamers" models, msi, rog, have internal hard drives and as I said the Defiance VII model had HD SATA as a storage option a few months ago.
That's not accurate, the Alienwares only allow for M2's, the same with MSI's and all the rest. I'm talking about current gen chassis, with 10gen Intel or AMD 4000's, not older models that are still being sold on 3rd party sites like amazon.

Previously motherboards only had space for 1 M2 drive, but now they have support for multiple on the chipset. You'll find all manufacturers now don't allow for 2.5" SATA bays.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
If you want a thin and light laptop, and that's what the market does seem to want, then that precludes a heavy and bulky HDD. Hard disks are 'cheap' storage, but you pay a very large size and weight penalty, as well as a performance penalty, for that cheapness. They make sense in a desktop for backup, archive, or for data that doesn't benefit from the speed of an SSD (like videos and music) but the entire design ethos of a laptop is thin, light, and portable. With large capacity and fast M.2 drives now very affordable in high-end and gaming laptops it makes no sense to weigh them down with an HDD.

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
If you want a thin and light laptop, and that's what the market does seem to want, then that precludes a heavy and bulky HDD. Hard disks are 'cheap' storage, but you pay a very large size and weight penalty, as well as a performance penalty, for that cheapness. They make sense in a desktop for backup, archive, or for data that doesn't benefit from the speed of an SSD (like videos and music) but the entire design ethos of a laptop is thin, light, and portable. With large capacity and fast M.2 drives now very affordable in high-end and gaming laptops it makes no sense to weigh them down with an HDD.

Absolutely. Whilst a 2.5" SATA drive may not look that big to us, in the context of a thin, light laptop it's acres of space that is much better utilised elsewhere.

They are a physical barrier to cooling as well. It's one less interface and the supporting chipset that themselves add heat. That cost in manufacturing soon adds up. When I was at the start of my first career as an electronics engineer, I used to repair electronic typewriters made by Sharp. Their entry level model used to cost about £49.99 if memory serves me. It was very simple - a two part plastic moulded case, a metal chassis for the platen (roller) and a 6"x4" board that basically had stepper motor drivers and a few other chips.

They sold by the bucket load to students and small businesses. Over 100,000 units a year in the UK and EU on average.

One day, they started to appear with no screws holding the metal chassis but rather a modified case with two moulded "clips". I asked one of the UK directors why they'd done this as it made repair difficult (they initially tended to shear off when you had to remove the chassis).

His answer - the cost of the screws + the person on the assembly line equated to around 18p per unit extra cost. 18p x 100,000 per year. On one line (they soon modified others across the ranges - well over half a million units a year at the time) - £18k a year for one model. £90k a year saved just on typewriters by removing two screws. Scales of economy that laptops (even in the duldrums right now) absolutely dwarf and I can't imagine the connector, tooling, chipset, drivers update etc all come to just 18p per unit,

The 512GB m2 in my laptop is tiny - literally not much bigger than a postage stamp, not to mention an order of magnitude faster than the SATA SSD that is also in it.

It's also down to the push to cloud-based storage for better or worse. Most providers (Microsoft OneDrive for example) by default only have a stub showing to a file - basically a shortcut - and unless you actually download the file for use or tell the software you want a permanent copy kept locally, they're not actually on the drive. Which is great, of course, until you have no network access.

I suspect that like most relatively new technologies, as there is a shift away from SATA - and definitely away from spinning rust, we will start to see the cost per GB of m2 begin to fall significantly. It's the old supply and demand vs cost bell curves.