I encountered a big problem with my HDD today.

Hi, earlier today while starting up my computer, windows was stuck on the starting windows animation for about 15 miniutes, and upon eventually logging on it was very slow and unresponsive. I havn't experienced anything like this before, since i am booting off of my SSD and using my HHD for storage (it also has windows installed on it from when i was using as my only drive so i can go back to it incase i need to for whatever reason) i thought it would be something wrong with the SSD, so i tried booting from my HDD. However, when i tried this it didn't even get to the animation and was stuck at a black screen. I then tried removing my HDD and booting from my SSD, to my surprise windows works fine now.

Everything was fine when i last used my computer, and im confused as to why my HDD is affecting(and screwing up) windows on my SSD even when im booting from the SSD.

Its a WD 750GB Caviar Black btw

Does anyone have any idea what might be wrong, and if i could fix it?

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
i had this problem, your HDD is faulty i think

although potentially dangerous you could boot up and then plug it in whilst your PC is turned on, i tried this, although it didn't help

i had this problem, your HDD is faulty i think

although potentially dangerous you could boot up and then plug it in whilst your PC is turned on, i tried this, although it didn't help

Ok, thanks for the reply, i presume this is covered by the PCS warrenty, so i could send it to them and get it replaced?

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
As long as you bought that drive from PCS then yes, although they may have trouble geting that model for you because of the crisis, you may be lucky and get sent a 1TB

I recommend if you can access the drive, wiping windows from it, mine had windows on it and that may be have one of the problems, although i can't access mine at all

can you boot from the 750gb drive from the BIOS? try that and see if windows loads

tom_gr7

Life Serving
did you add the 60gb corsair ya self?

hmm so you have OS's installed on the ssd and the hdd?

As long as you bought that drive from PCS then yes, although they may have trouble geting that model for you because of the crisis, you may be lucky and get sent a 1TB

I recommend if you can access the drive, wiping windows from it, mine had windows on it and that may be have one of the problems, although i can't access mine at all

can you boot from the 750gb drive from the BIOS? try that and see if windows loads

Yeah, ive already tried booting from it from the BIOS and i just get the black screen, and unfortunately i can't access any data from it.
I find it quite strange though, as the drive has had the unused windows on it for months, i didn't realise it would have any negative effects on it.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
I have the same setup, two os's, one on ssd other on hdd partition.

So the ssd is working fine and the hdd isnt? IS the hdd in the bios?

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
i think its more a faulty drive than having 2 copies of windows

mine was definitely broken and i had similar symptoms as you, really slow loading

I have the same setup, two os's, one on ssd other on hdd partition.

So the ssd is working fine and the hdd isnt? IS the hdd in the bios?

It's weird, the SSD is working fine on its own, though when the HDD is in as well, even if its not set to boot from it, it will get stuck on the starting windows screen for ages.
And yes, the HDD does show up in the BIOS.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
mine does that mate, I have noticed recently, for about 10 or so seconds, will time it tomoz.

how long does it stick there for?

With only the SSD a few seconds and it works fine.
With the SSD and HDD booting from the SSD about 15 miniutes then very bad performance.
With the SSD and HDD booting from the HDD the logo doesnt even show.

JakAttack

Resident Metalhead
Staff member
Sounds like a faulty HDD, you've done quite alot of testing and it seems to me the HDD is the culprit, as the system works fine without it.

Let me know your order number and if you're in warranty I'll get a replacement out tomorrow for delivery on Monday. PM it me if you want.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
hmmm, i aint tried to boot from my hdd, as its just for backup incase OCZ vertex 2 dies again.

hmmm I'd give the gents at pcs a call mate,

has this happened suddenly or slowly over time?