I kindly ask ye, educated folk, to pick apart my set up. Pros/Cons.

So…

• Stone Age Marty

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The One Piece dude

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

Zathandropus

Case
PCS SPECTRUM G ARGB MID TOWER CASE
Processor (CPU)
AMD Ryzen 7 5700G Eight Core CPU with Radeon™ Graphics (3.8GHz-4.6GHz/20MB CACHE/AM4)
Motherboard
ASUS® ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (DDR4, USB 3.2, 6Gb/s) - ARGB Ready!
Memory (RAM)
16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3200MHz (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
8GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3060 Ti - HDMI, DP, LHR
1st M.2 SSD Drive
1TB CORSAIR FORCE MP600 NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD (up to 4950 MB/R, 4000 MB/W)
Power Supply
CORSAIR 650W CX-M Series™ SEMI-MODULAR 80 PLUS® BRONZE
Power Cable
1 x 1.5 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling
STANDARD AMD CPU COOLER
Thermal Paste
ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Card
10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT
Wireless Network Card
WIRELESS 802.11N 300Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD
USB/Thunderbolt Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Keyboard & Mouse
Razer Power Up Bundle - Cynosa Lite KB, Deathadder Essential Mouse, Blackshark V2 HS, Gigantus V2 Large MM
Speakers
LOGITECH Z200 2.0 SPEAKERS

I would be thankful to have your thoughts on this - wether it holds up to today’s standards and how efficient this would be playing the newest games at medium to high graphics. What are its limitations etc.

mark790

You might need to add a bit more info to that post,

Budget
Monitor it will be used with
URL link to the build you have listed

I am certainly no expert but that 1TB NVMe probably won't be enough if you play a lot of games, maybe go with a 500GB for the OS and add a large 2nd SSD/HDD?
I'd bump the PSU up to the 850W RMx
I'd go for the 3600MHz version of that RAM
If you need wireless I'd go with the AX200 for the sake of 11 quid more, much better than the one you listed

no idea about the rest of it so hopefully you get a proper reply from someone knowledgeable, good luck

Zathandropus

Thanks for your input Mark! I didn’t include a budget as i was trying to cut the costs under £1,500 here, total came to £1,460. The monitor I already have - it’s an AOC 25” 144hz 1920x1080. It’s a fair point about the SSD, I will no doubt be purchasing an external drive down the line. Now that i look at it getting the better RAM would’ve only cost £15 extra so you’ve got me there. Why do you think 850W PSU would benefit me? The website told me this spec would only require 343W (sorry might be a noob question). I’ll be going with LAN for sure and my bandwidth is only 125MB so i thought i would not need a better wireless card, thanks again!

mark790

Have a look through this,

it covers both the RAM & PSU in detail, 850W may well be overkill to be fair but it looked like you were aiming for some higher end parts.
I certainly wouldn't do anything until you get a reply from someone with more of an idea than me.

Wololo_n00b

Bronze Level Poster
Hi there! I'm not one of the experts here but if it's of any help! -

I can vouch for the AX200 too, it was recommended to me last year when I bought my PC and it's been great. Also might be a good idea to up the PSU as Mark suggested as it leaves room for future upgrades, and also it can help things run at a more optimal efficiency than say a PSU with a wattage closer to your requirement.* Then again I don't think it's an absolute necessity.

If you're trying to keep things at that budget you could always use a 500 GB NVMe for your OS as Mark suggested, and then a bigger SATA SSD for your games. While the NVME's will always be faster than the SATA SSD's re: transfer speeds, as far as game loading times are concerned there isn't a huge difference between them (you can check the Hardware Unboxed vids on YouTube for this). So imo it's a great way to save money. You also have the added benefit of not having to reinstall everything if there's a problem with your boot drive, or you're re-installing Windows.

As far as recommending SSD's go, the 2TB Samsung QVO was something I had my eye on during the Black Friday sales - might be something you could look into. I don't know if they have it on PCS, but on Amazon it was like £120 during the sale. Ended up going for the 1TB Samsung EVO for around £80 instead just because the QVO's sold out. If saving money is the concern and the drive is pretty much for games rather than intensive use like transferring lots of files etc., would recommend the QVO over the EVO as you can get better bang for buck re: storage space.**

*Again, not an expert xd But researched this a bit when I was buying my PC and was given some of that advice myself.
**Also not trying to be a Samsung salesman here xDD but you can't go wrong with them really, and the software support for them is good.

Last edited:

Zathandropus

Hi there! I'm not one of the experts here but if it's of any help! -

I can vouch for the AX200 too, it was recommended to me last year when I bought my PC and it's been great. Also might be a good idea to up the PSU as Mark suggested as it leaves room for future upgrades, and also it can help things run at a more optimal efficiency than say a PSU with a wattage closer to your requirement.* Then again I don't think it's an absolute necessity.

If you're trying to keep things at that budget you could always use a 500 GB NVMe for your OS as Mark suggested, and then a bigger SATA SSD for your games. While the NVME's will always be faster than the SATA SSD's re: transfer speeds, as far as game loading times are concerned there isn't a huge difference between them (you can check the Hardware Unboxed vids on YouTube for this). So imo it's a great way to save money. You also have the added benefit of not having to reinstall everything if there's a problem with your boot drive, or you're re-installing Windows.

As far as recommending SSD's go, the 2TB Samsung QVO was something I had my eye on during the Black Friday sales - might be something you could look into. I don't know if they have it on PCS, but on Amazon it was like £120 during the sale. Ended up going for the 1TB Samsung EVO for around £80 instead just because the QVO's sold out. If saving money is the concern and the drive is pretty much for games rather than intensive use like transferring lots of files etc., would recommend the QVO over the EVO as you can get better bang for buck re: storage space.**

*Again, not an expert xd But researched this a bit when I was buying my PC and was given some of that advice myself.
**Also not trying to be a Samsung salesman here xDD but you can't go wrong with them really, and the software support for them is good.
Thanks for the well of information! The SSD situation will need addressing, seems like. I shall take the rest on board.