I need a new hard drive

sck451

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I have filled up my storage again. My hard drive is at 95% capacity now. There are two options: I can delete files, or I can add a new drive. Obviously the first isn't going to happen, so I need a new hard drive. It will be almost entirely for video and audio files.

I want something 4TB or larger, 7200RPM, from a reputable brand.

I'd post my original specs from the PCS order page, but basically none of the components are original now, so it would be more misleading than helpful. The important ones for a hard drive are that I have a Tuf X570 motherboard (with plenty of SATA ports free) and a 275R Airflow case (with a single 3.5" bay free).

Any recommendations for a drive I could buy?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I have filled up my storage again. My hard drive is at 95% capacity now. There are two options: I can delete files, or I can add a new drive. Obviously the first isn't going to happen, so I need a new hard drive. It will be almost entirely for video and audio files.

I want something 4TB or larger, 7200RPM, from a reputable brand.

I'd post my original specs from the PCS order page, but basically none of the components are original now, so it would be more misleading than helpful. The important ones for a hard drive are that I have a Tuf X570 motherboard (with plenty of SATA ports free) and a 275R Airflow case (with a single 3.5" bay free).

Any recommendations for a drive I could buy?
I used to have WD Blacks for storage, but when I moved to always on availability, I checked out NAS certified drives which just have far better endurance.

For overall performance with good sound, I can't recommend the WD Red Pro's enough, they are absolutely superb drives and almost silent.
I was on 4Tb drives, but have started replacing those with 8Tb but both are as quiet as each other.

The reason for the Pro's over just the Plus models is that the Plus have cache issues and really slow down on sustained writes, which would probably affect you for video files, I certainly got fed up transferring say 4gb video files over the network as the write speed just crashed after about 1Gb.

Ironically buying them direct from WD gives a HUGE saving, for the 4TB model they're £140 most places, but direct, just over £100

But shop around, and look at the 6Gb as well, because I've often found deals where larger models are more heavily discounted making them much better value.

If you wanted to reduce cost a little at the expense of a bit more noise, the Seagate IronWolf Pro's are the next best thing.

sck451

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I used to have WD Blacks for storage, but when I moved to always on availability, I checked out NAS certified drives which just have far better endurance.

For overall performance with good sound, I can't recommend the WD Red Pro's enough, they are absolutely superb drives and almost silent.
I was on 4Tb drives, but have started replacing those with 8Tb but both are as quiet as each other.

The reason for the Pro's over just the Plus models is that the Plus have cache issues and really slow down on sustained writes, which would probably affect you for video files, I certainly got fed up transferring say 4gb video files over the network as the write speed just crashed after about 1Gb.

Ironically buying them direct from WD gives a HUGE saving, for the 4TB model they're £140 most places, but direct, just over £100

But shop around, and look at the 6Gb as well, because I've often found deals where larger models are more heavily discounted making them much better value.

If you wanted to reduce cost a little at the expense of a bit more noise, the Seagate IronWolf Pro's are the next best thing.
That's awesome, thank you!

Though the Red Pros seem to be £140 from WD directly at that link? The £100ish one is a 2TB drive.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
That's awesome, thank you!

Though the Red Pros seem to be £140 from WD directly at that link? The £100ish one is a 2TB drive.
God, you're absolutely right, my cognitive ability is zero atm, so yeah, it's the same cost as most sites.

You can sometimes get a reduction on an OEM model at Amazon which is without the packaging, but do be aware, there are implications on the warranty as well for OEM models, think it cuts it down quite significantly to 1year or something, personally I don't think it's worth it.