I would like to reduce PC fan noise

embjays

Hello there! I got my computer in march, but I've noticed that the fans sometimes get a bit faster/louder, even when I'm not doing something straining to the system. I have the PCS PRISM TG BLACK ARGB MID TOWER case, and I'm wondering if there's a software/program I can use to control this. The fans came with the case. Any help is much appreciated!

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hello there! I got my computer in march, but I've noticed that the fans sometimes get a bit faster/louder, even when I'm not doing something straining to the system. I have the PCS PRISM TG BLACK ARGB MID TOWER case, and I'm wondering if there's a software/program I can use to control this. The fans came with the case. Any help is much appreciated!

Hiya

Could you post your full specs from the order page?

It's unlikely to be the case fans ramping up and down, as these are normally set static.

If it's ramping up and down, it's more likely either CPU cooler or GPU fans.

But the full specs will tell us more.

embjays

Yes of course!

CPU - i5 10400f
GPU - NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1650
RAM - Corsair Vengeance 16 GB 3200mhz (Not RGB)
Motherboard - GIGABYTE B560M DS3H
Storage - Not actually sure on this one, but I know I have 1TB (Can check tomorrow if needed as it's quite late right now)
PSU - Corsair 450W CV Series
CPU Cooler - CoolerMaster Hyper 212 (120mm)

Hope this is all good

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Yes of course!

CPU - i5 10400f
GPU - NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1650
RAM - Corsair Vengeance 16 GB 3200mhz (Not RGB)
Motherboard - GIGABYTE B560M DS3H
Storage - Not actually sure on this one, but I know I have 1TB (Can check tomorrow if needed as it's quite late right now)

Hope this is all good
Did you order it through PCS? If so you should have an online account and the full specs are listed in there? Just copy and paste them

I would be surprised if it's the case fans as that's quite a budget case and won't have PWM controllable fans AFAIK.

It's more likely the CPU cooler I'm guessing. At a guess, it's probably a stock cooler and they are rather noisy. And as the system beds in, there's a lot of processed going on in the background sorting out caching and indexing, so you may not be doing anything or have many programs open, but there's still a lot going on in the background.

Also, if you're using Chrome, it's a huge resource hog, both on processor and RAM, IMHO generally best avoided, but realise I'm a bit OTT when it comes to stuff like that.

embjays

Did you order it through PCS? If so you should have an online account and the full specs are listed in there? Just copy and paste them

I would be surprised if it's the case fans as that's quite a budget case and won't have PWM controllable fans AFAIK.

It's more likely the CPU cooler I'm guessing. At a guess, it's probably a stock cooler and they are rather noisy. And as the system beds in, there's a lot of processed going on in the background sorting out caching and indexing, so you may not be doing anything or have many programs open, but there's still a lot going on in the background.

Also, if you're using Chrome, it's a huge resource hog, both on processor and RAM, IMHO generally best avoided, but realise I'm a bit OTT when it comes to stuff like that.
I do use chrome, and my CPU Cooler is definitely the CoolerMaster Hyper 212 (120mm). I also found the order list:

Case
PCS PRISM TG BLACK ARGB MID TOWER CASE
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™ i5 Six Core Processor i5-10400F (2.9GHz) 12MB Cache
Motherboard
GIGABYTE B560M DS3H (rev. 1.0) : LGA1200, DDR4, USB 3.2
Memory (RAM)
16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3200MHz (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
4GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1650 - HDMI
1st M.2 SSD Drive
1TB PCS PCIe M.2 SSD (2200 MB/R, 1500 MB/W)
Power Supply
CORSAIR 450W CV SERIES™ CV-450 POWER SUPPLY
Power Cable
1 x 1.5 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling
CoolerMaster Hyper 212 (120mm) Fan CPU Cooler Black Edition
Thermal Paste
STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Card
10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT
Wireless Network Card
WIRELESS INTEL® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 2,400Mbps/5GHz, 300Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD + BT 5.0
USB/Thunderbolt Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence [KK3-00002]
Operating System Language
United Kingdom - English Language
Windows Recovery Media
Windows 10/11 Multi-Language Recovery Image - Unlimited Downloads from Online Account
Office Software
FREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft 365® (Operating System Required)
Anti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Browser
Google Chrome
Monitor
PCS BD24 23.8" IPS Monitor - 1080p, 5MS, 60Hz
Keyboard & Mouse
CoolerMaster MS110 Combo Keyboard and Mouse
Headsets
ASTRO A10 Gaming Headset
Surge Protection
6 Socket 2m Surge Protector
Warranty
3 Year Standard Warranty (1 Month Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
Delivery
STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 3 to 6 working days

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I believe I have found it:

Case
PCS PRISM TG BLACK ARGB MID TOWER CASE
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™ i5 Six Core Processor i5-10400F (2.9GHz) 12MB Cache
Motherboard
GIGABYTE B560M DS3H (rev. 1.0) : LGA1200, DDR4, USB 3.2
Memory (RAM)
4GB PCS PRO DDR4 2666MHz (1 x 4GB)
Graphics Card
4GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1650 - HDMI
1st M.2 SSD Drive
1TB PCS PCIe M.2 SSD (2200 MB/R, 1500 MB/W)
Power Supply
CORSAIR 450W CV SERIES™ CV-450 POWER SUPPLY
Power Cable
1 x 1.5 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling
CoolerMaster Hyper 212 (120mm) Fan CPU Cooler Black Edition
Thermal Paste
STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Card
10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT
Wireless Network Card
WIRELESS INTEL® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 2,400Mbps/5GHz, 300Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD + BT 5.0
USB/Thunderbolt Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence [KK3-00002]
Operating System Language
United Kingdom - English Language
Windows Recovery Media
Windows 10/11 Multi-Language Recovery Image - Unlimited Downloads from Online Account
Office Software
FREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft 365® (Operating System Required)
Anti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Browser
Microsoft® Edge
Monitor
PCS BD24 23.8" IPS Monitor - 1080p, 5MS, 60Hz
Keyboard & Mouse
CoolerMaster MS110 Combo Keyboard and Mouse
Headsets
ASTRO A10 Gaming Headset
Surge Protection
6 Socket 2m Surge Protector
Warranty
3 Year Standard Warranty (1 Month Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
Delivery
STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 3 to 6 working days
Just had a closer look at the case, they may well be PWM.

If they are software controllable, it should be through the motherboard software, in this case "System Information Viewer" from here:

You also need "App Center" installed from here:

And a pre requisite for that is .NET Framework 4.5 from Microsoft:

embjays

Thanks a ton for the help! I'll check out the links provided and (probably tomorrow) will be back with a verdict. Thanks again, and have a good day/night :)

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Thanks a ton for the help! I'll check out the links provided and (probably tomorrow) will be back with a verdict. Thanks again, and have a good day/night :)
Install them from the last to the first, so .Net first, then App Center, then finally System Information Viewer

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Even DC fans can ramp up and down; they just can't do it as well as pwm ones can.
Yeah, I was very mistakenly thinking that was a really budget case, but it's not. I thought the fans would be really basic connected to the PSU rather than the board. My bad. I shouldn't have assumed it was a budget case without looking.

embjays

Hi there,

it seems a bit quieter but it's still fairly loud after some use. Do you have any other tips for reducing the noise?

B4zookaw

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Custom fan curves would be what I'd try next. A fan curve basically tells the system what speed (% of total RPM) fans should run at for a given temperature. So at idle, when CPU temp is low, the fan speed and therefore noise is also low. As the CPU temp rises, the fans increase in speed for increased cooling. But by setting a custom fan curve, you can control how fast and how loud they go. If you have a decent fan setup, your fans should rarely, if ever, go above 80% RPM under normal load usage.

I've no experience of Gigabyte software, but I assume it includes ability to create fan curves. If not Fan Control is a great option.

Edit: looks like System information viewer that Spyder linked to above allows custom fan curve: https://www.gigabyte.com/microsite/369/images/system-tweaking.html

Last edited:

embjays

Thanks for the reply,

I have already set up a custom fan curve, but even at the lowest fan % it says they are still running at around 740RPM. Should I still try the Fan Control link you sent?

sck451

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Thanks for the reply,

I have already set up a custom fan curve, but even at the lowest fan % it says they are still running at around 740RPM. Should I still try the Fan Control link you sent?
That might be as slow as you can get a DC fan. They're much less sophisticated than PWM versions, which will go down to half that speed. That's a physical limitation of the fan.

embjays

Ah ok, thanks for the help everyone! I'll probably end up buying a new case soon. Does anyone have any recommendations? Budget is around £120

embjays

Is it noise you're trying to reduce? Are you certain it's the case fans?
Pretty certain its the case fans. Of course, it could be the psu, but most of the noise seems to be coming from the 3 fans at the front and the 1 at the rear. And yes, I'm trying to reduce as much noise as possible.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Pretty certain its the case fans. Of course, it could be the psu, but most of the noise seems to be coming from the 3 fans at the front and the 1 at the rear. And yes, I'm trying to reduce as much noise as possible.
When you set them lower did the noise change? I would suggest it's not the case fans, you can temporarily disconnect them and see how it sounds then.

Case fans would generally be set static, there's no need for them to change speeds dynamically on most systems. Unless it's a really poor case, I'd be very surprised if the case fans are making that much noise as such low RPM.

It's more likely the CPU fan ramping up and down, and GPU fans under load, those will be far noisier.

I wouldn't go changing the case without verifying what's making the noise first.

embjays

The noise didn't really change, no.

I'm pretty sure I had been changing the cpu fan speeds, as in SIV it said CPU. I haven't seen any options for the gpu fans, but I know there are definitely two on there. The case fans do make noise though, as well as the cpu fan which is kind of strange.