i3-4110m or i5-4210m processor?

rn1

have been looking at various configurations of the cosmos 2 but when looking at CPU's I noticed that both the i3-4110m and i5-4210m run 2.6ghz but have got a rpice difference of around £20. I know it isn't alot money wise but is it worth the extra £20? will it make much of a difference for gaming?

thanks in advance :)

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Depends on the game. For processor bound games the i5 will have an edge. For gaming I wouldn't choose an i3.

Reactions: rn1

rn1

Depends on the game. For processor bound games the i5 will have an edge. For gaming I wouldn't choose an i3.

I went for the i5 processor but it was just when i was looking back through the config, noticed that they were running at the same ghz so thought I would question. Thanks for your help :)

keynes

Multiverse Poster
I went for the i5 processor but it was just when i was looking back through the config, noticed that they were running at the same ghz so thought I would question. Thanks for your help :)

Running at the same core frequency doesn't mean they perform the same, you could check benchmarks online.

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
Struggling to find benchmarks on the i3 myself, plenty on the i5.

i5 Processors have a higher cache than i3 processors which means the i5 is better at tasking than the i3.

If you have gone for the i5 you'll have made the right choice

Hope this helps

Mike

Jamie0202

Enthusiast

I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned but Intel have a strange way of telling us the frequency of their CPUs. The i5 turbo-boosts to 3.2Ghz. I'm not sure exactly why they quote it at 2.6Ghz. My 4700m is quoted at a speed of 2.4Ghz but can go way below this and way above this depending on whether it is being asked to work or not. Strangely I don't think I've ever actually seen it at 2.4Ghz.

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
I think the boost is only avalable if the motherboard allows it. I might be wrong. I didn't think the PCS Laptops supported it. But as i say i might be wrong.

Jamie0202

Enthusiast
I had a quick google and didn't find anything about motherboards not supporting the turbo-boost function. What I did find however is that some manufacturers disable the turbo-boost function to conserve battery life, most notably in ultrabooks where battery life and portability take priority over performance.

I can confirm that the Optimus V turbo-boosts my i7 4700m without issue. I'd imagine your Vortex II will also turbo-boost your i7 2670qm.

Edit- I think GeorgeHillier has the i5 in the Cosmos chassis. I know the OP has already ordered the i5 now but if you're around George could you confirm that the I5 does indeed turbo-boost?

rn1

never thought about turbo boost on the processor but it is definetly an i5 4210m I have getting put in and sounds like ive made the right decision according to you all I'll have aread of the lin, thanks SmokeDarKnight

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
never thought about turbo boost on the processor but it is definetly an i5 4210m I have getting put in and sounds like ive made the right decision according to you all I'll have aread of the lin, thanks SmokeDarKnight

Not a problem at all glad to help

I had a quick google and didn't find anything about motherboards not supporting the turbo-boost function. What I did find however is that some manufacturers disable the turbo-boost function to conserve battery life, most notably in ultrabooks where battery life and portability take priority over performance.

I can confirm that the Optimus V turbo-boosts my i7 4700m without issue. I'd imagine your Vortex II will also turbo-boost your i7 2670qm.

Edit- I think GeorgeHillier has the i5 in the Cosmos chassis. I know the OP has already ordered the i5 now but if you're around George could you confirm that the I5 does indeed turbo-boost?

Thanks for that Jamie, i have an i7 but have never been able to turbo boost mine saying that though i do have an old chip set so that might be why i cant. Think min is about 3 years old now. I look into it though.