i5 vs i7 : Is it worth it?

bobbricks

I'm thinking of getting the Optimus V. I'm not sure whether to buy the i5 4210M or the i7 4710MQ processor.
My other specs are 1TB hard drive, 8gb RAM, LED screen and extreme cooling conductivity compound. I will occasionally play games like Call of Duty/Battlefield/Elite Dangerous/Star Citizen. However, I'd like my laptop to be portable enough to carry around (I've heard i7s are heavier) and the i5 is quite a bit cheaper as well. When I buy this laptop, I won't be getting another one for many years so I need it last long (I'll get the warranty as well).

Can someone offer me advice on what I should do- get the i5 or the i7?

steaky360

The weight of the i5 vs the weight of the i7 is likely negligible and you certainly wont notice - as long as the chassis is the same then the weight will be the same.

Essentially if you are pretty much just gaming, you probably won't need the i7 :) the i5 will be more than enough.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Can someone offer me advice on what I should do- get the i5 or the i7?
I won't be getting another one for many years so I need it last long
the choice between those 2 CPUs won't make it last longer gaming wise as opposed to getting a better chassis with a stronger gpu

bobbricks

the choice between those 2 CPUs won't make it last longer gaming wise as opposed to getting a better chassis with a stronger gpu

My graphics will be a GTX 860M- are you saying that it doesn't matter which of the 2 processors I get for gaming (so if I play a new game say 5 years from now, then both will be able to play the game well on either processor)?

bobbricks

The weight of the i5 vs the weight of the i7 is likely negligible and you certainly wont notice - as long as the chassis is the same then the weight will be the same.

Essentially if you are pretty much just gaming, you probably won't need the i7 :) the i5 will be more than enough.

Hi,
So would there be any benefit at all in getting the i7 (even if I load up 20 tabs on Firefox with torrents and Word running in the backgrgound?)

Also, do either of you know whether the Optimus V has a good chassis?

keynes

Multiverse Poster
My graphics will be a GTX 860M- are you saying that it doesn't matter which of the 2 processors I get for gaming (so if I play a new game say 5 years from now, then both will be able to play the game well on either processor)?

if you play a new game in 5 years the GTX 860m is likely to struggle running it.

Retron

Silver Level Poster
Go for the i7, without a doubt - it's a quad-core whereas the i5 is dual core. Not only is it more future-proof, but games such as Battlefield 4 will make good use of the extra two cores.

It's a trend which will only increase over the coming years.