I7-3630QM or I7-3630QM ?

NvidiaX

I7-3630QM or I7-3740QM ?

Hi,

I was going to buy the Optimus IV with the 3740QM processor, but today I also noticed that there is the new cheaper 3630QM.

Is that extra 300mhz different worth the 3740QM's £104 price increase? I will be doing intensive tasks on a regular basis such as video editing, but will that 300mhz make that much difference?

Thanks in advance,
Louis

Last edited:

LinearLux

Bronze Level Poster
Hey man, I doubt it will make a HUGE difference :p You might want to change the title because that's got both of the same CPU :p

NvidiaX

That's weird i've changed the title 3 times before I posted and it kept changing back lol. And what do you think it would make much difference for video editing?

Iroquois Pliskin

Enthusiast
Get an i7-3630QM and an SSD instead.

P.S. Isn't this a second (third?) thread on the same topic by you? xD

Last edited:

NvidiaX

Nope might have had a similar thread, but not on this :)

My dilemma is that I can easily upgrade the HDD to an SSD later, but the processor is a lot harder.

NvidiaX

So you recommend getting the 3630QM and a ssd, instead of buying the 3740qm with hdd then later (when I get the money) buying a 120gb ssd for £50? I'm just thinking of the total life of the laptop, because I want to still be using it in a few years.

NvidiaX

Yeah I did see it, but It doesn't really say much for real world performance. like for example I would like to know something like how long they take to render a 10 min 1080p video. etc... But because it's so new there is no data on it :(

Iroquois Pliskin

Enthusiast
A 3630QM is the same as a 3610QM with 100 MHz higher clocks.

With the Ivy Bridge architecture, you get 3.5-4% more performance for every 100 MHz bump in clocks, so an i7-3740QM would be 10-12% faster on average in CPU-dependent applications.