i7 3770 load temperature?

pagepack

Bronze Level Poster
Thought Id check my CPU temperature (HW Monitor), idle the 4 cores sit around 28c (stock cooler) which is fine. After playing BF3 at max setting for half an hour all the cores are around 80/81c which seems pretty high. Need I be concerned?

pagepack

Bronze Level Poster
Just ran prime 95 across 4 cores (8 threads) and I stopped it when all the cores hit 98c after 2 minutes. Not good.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
have you try increasing the fan speed of the CPU cooler?

Last edited:

fich

These are the same sort of temps I was recording! I'm starting to wonder if ivy bridge does actually run this hot or whether there's something else at play?

fich

I've just google ivy bridge temp issues and have found some startling reports that the chips are running hotter due to being manufactured with a layer of inefficient TIM! Intel are staying quiet but according to reports this means the chip won't last half as long as Sandybridge. If this is the case I've wasted my money, this concerns me a lot!

Rsaeire

Ivy Bridge runs hotter than Sandy Bridge when pushed due to Intel using cheaper thermal paste between the heat spreader and the CPU die. You can read about it here.

fich

Does this mean it is safe to run at these temps though? I'm worried that the chip won't last at these temps.

Rsaeire

Not at 98c, no. CPUs start throttling down once they reach a certain temperature anyway; that's what all the additional marketing blurbs are always talking about, e.g. Enhanced Intel SpeedStep, AMD's Cool'n'Quiet etc.

If you're hitting 98c, although you only mentioned "These are the same sort of temps I was recording!" so you could have been referring to either 98c or 80/81c, something's up. Either too little/much thermal paste, an incorrectly seated heatsink, inefficient cooling or possibly a combination of all three.

fich

Yeah mines currently under rma so I'm hoping alls good when I get it back. Cheers for clearing that up for me mate ;)

pagepack

Bronze Level Poster
Easy to test, I've Got TIM cleaner and arctic silver 5. So tomorrow I'll remove the heatsink, clean everything and apply arctic silver, then run prime 95.

pagepack

Bronze Level Poster
***SOLVED***

As soon as I opened the case and touched the heatsink it was obvious what the problem was, it wasn't attached at one corner. To a casual glance all looked fine, it wasn't hanging off, but the contact between heatsink and CPU would of been poor. I did a timed prime 95 torture test on the 4 cores before and after.

Before

1 minute - 88c
2 minutes - 97c
Ended it after the CPU hit 100c after 2 minutes 27 seconds.

After seating heatsink correctly

1 minute - 61c
2 minutes - 66c
After 10 minutes temp was still mid 60s.

Must of been like that since I received my PC a couple of weeks ago. I think the way the stock cooler is attached to the motherboard is a very poor design, cheap and prone to coming detached in transit. Its simply 4 plastic split pins that each go through the holes in the mobo, then you press down on the plastic end (mobo side) that splits the pin which holds it to the CPU. Only it seems that its easy for one side of the split pin not to go through the hole correctly, so when you push down to split the two sides of the plastic pin, there is only one side through so its not held correctly.

I took the other side off the case so I could check that the pins were pushed through correctly, my first attempt look OK from the mobo side, but when I checked the back of the mobo one split pin wasn't through correctly. It took a couple of attempts to make sure all was well. On a side note it will be very easy to replace the stock cooler as the rear of the motherboard is exposed where any back plate will sit, nice.

Last edited:

keynes

Multiverse Poster
***SOLVED***

As soon as I opened the case and touched the heatsink it was obvious what the problem was, it wasn't attached at one corner. To a casual glance all looked fine, it wasn't hanging off, but the contact between heatsink and CPU would of been poor. I did a timed prime 95 torture test on the 4 cores before and after.

Before

1 minute - 88c
2 minutes - 97c
Ended it after the CPU hit 100c after 2 minutes 27 seconds.

After seating heatsink correctly

1 minute - 61c
2 minutes - 66c
After 10 minutes temp was still mid 60s.

Must of been like that since I received my PC a couple of weeks ago. I think the way the stock cooler is attached to the motherboard is a very poor design, cheap and prone to coming detached in transit. Its simply 4 plastic split pins that each go through the holes in the mobo, then you press down on the plastic end (mobo side) that splits the pin which holds it to the CPU. Only it seems that its easy for one side of the split pin not to go through the hole correctly, so when you push down to split the two sides of the plastic pin, there is only one side through so its not held correctly.

I took the other side off the case so I could check that the pins were pushed through correctly, my first attempt look OK from the mobo side, but when I checked the back of the mobo one split pin wasn't through correctly. It took a couple of attempts to make sure all was well. On a side note it will be very easy to replace the stock cooler as the rear of the motherboard is exposed where any back plate will sit, nice.

Did you try replacing the thermal paste?

pagepack

Bronze Level Poster
Did you try replacing the thermal paste?

Yeah, its good practice if you remove a heatsink. Although I'm going to order a new heatsink today anyway, too noisy for me. Any recommendations anyone? Very quiet is the only stipulation.

Corfate

Author Level
Yeah, its good practice if you remove a heatsink. Although I'm going to order a new heatsink today anyway, too noisy for me. Any recommendations anyone? Very quiet is the only stipulation.

My Hyper 212 plus is great in push pull :) My i5-3570k is sitting at 4.2ghz at the mo, run prime95 all night and the max temps on each cores were as follows:
Core 1 - 54c
Core 2 - 56c
Core 3 - 57c
Core 4 - 52c

Highly recommend it :)