i7-4790K

masyarrum

Bronze Level Poster
How does the Octane 17.3" handle a desktop CPU? Does it not get a bit hot...? And also is it even worth the extra money?

Thanks

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
The laptop has really impressive cooling potential, but still, the only real benefit to the k version of the processor is overclocking which you certainly wouldn't want to do in a laptop, and heat would be nearing its peak. I wouldn't recommend that processor I that laptop unless you had specific requirements for it.

masyarrum

Bronze Level Poster
The laptop has really impressive cooling potential, but still, the only real benefit to the k version of the processor is overclocking which you certainly wouldn't want to do in a laptop, and heat would be nearing its peak. I wouldn't recommend that processor I that laptop unless you had specific requirements for it.

So i'd probably best got for either the i7-4790S or the i7-4790. Even then, what's the difference between them, just the GHz?

keliokan

Hi masyarrum,

I'm receiving my octane 15' with the 4790K today.
I'm doing a lot of computational calculation (Molecular Dynamic, etc...CUDA is my new friend).
I can tell you in the next few days if i can boil water or not ^^

masyarrum

Bronze Level Poster
Hi masyarrum,

I'm receiving my octane 15' with the 4790K today.
I'm doing a lot of computational calculation (Molecular Dynamic, etc...CUDA is my new friend).
I can tell you in the next few days if i can boil water or not ^^

That would be very helpful! Thanks :)

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
The 4790s is a low power option, youd have to google to find the differences between it and the standard 4790

keliokan

Hi, a small update for now,
It took me a while before to have a full and operationnal install of ubuntu but now it's working perfectly.
For the temperature after 24 hours of intensive calcul... (MD using the 8 cores and the GPU (cuda), ~38 ns per day :D)
I have reach 98C for the cpu and 72C for the gpu (70% max load).

Its a bit high especially the cpu but i still need to optimise the scripts ^^, the ratio CPU/GPU is not perfect yet